Cad is better or catia is better

I think maybe you are asking about AutoCAD vs Catia? CAD and CAM and generic terms. Computer Aided Design, Computer Aided Manufacturing. Aside from clearing that up, AutoCAD is a very well known standard, you may want to start with that. I've also have not heard of Catia but I'm not in the right industry so can't comment.

I can say that the several new building and floor plan projects I was involved in years ago all used AutoCAD.

Whenever you are doing work as a student you need to direct your question to the school. Many times it is not a matter of what program is "better", it is more a concern of what program the school uses, and what the teachers are more familiar with. Personally I would think AutoCAD to be better as it is the defacto world standard for CAD design work, but if your school uses something else then you may have a lot of headaches on your plate of file compatibility, getting help with technical problems, etc. Also important is the version of whatever software they use, and many changes can happen between different versions.

JohnA

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
There are many CAD programs out there, and they have similar layouts. Learning any of them takes you a long way toward learning any other.

The answer depends on your major, and what industry you want to work in. Catia is the aerospace industry standard. If you go to Embry Riddle, this is what you must learn. It has its roots in Unix and has a unique interface with the steepest learning curve.
Autocad (actually Inventor) and Solidworks are much more widely used in medium to small businesses and will feel intuitive to windows users. You will be productive much, much sooner in either of those. There are dozens of others, big and small, that have their niche. But again, learning any of them will make the learning curve shorter on any other.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
JohnA is correct. The most difficult part is learning proper design, not the tools. Once you know how to design and have some experience with one tool then learning another tool is relatively easy.

There are three major categories of hardware engineering software. Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE, mostly used by engineers), Computer-Aided Design (drafting, modeling), and Computer-Aided Manufacturing (manufacturing and machining automation).

There are three major branches of CAE/CAD/CAM: architectural, mechanical, and electronics. Some of the major software developers have products that cover all of these and integrate them (especially the latter two).

Within each of these there are many specializations. Which one you end up in depends on your interests, school course availability, and the local industry (usually your first job).

There are many free/open source CAD tools available if you are on a budget. For 2D architectural/mechanical design try DraftSight (by Dassault Systems, developer of CATIA and SolidWorks). For electronic/printed circuit board design (PCB) try KiCad.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
it depends on where you want to go when you graduate. do you want to work in the aeronautical feild? if so catia is the main program for those companies. if you want to work for companies like john deere or catapillar or industrial companies well Pro-E is a huge one for those companies. AutoDesk Invetor is also a big one that is used mainly by smaller companies who cannot afford the big packages.

AutoCad is not a good 3d modeler. it is mainly used for 2d drawings and floor plans so if you want to do 3d then Catia is your program.