Sign in with
Your question
Closed

USB 3.0 and USB Onboard Headers compatible?

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2012 6:35:27 AM

I hop this is in the right place.

First of all, this is my first PC that I build myself. So onto the problem.

Yesterday I went to Fry's to bought a new case since my Thermaltake that was shipped to me came broken. There was one particular thing that I was looking for in the case, and that was USB 3.0 support.

So I bought the Corsair Carbide 400R which supports 2 USB 3.0 in the front.

My mobo is a MSI 970a-g45, which also supports USB 3.0 via the back were the I/O ports are.

Now the issue is that the Corsair 400R's USB 3.0 has to be connected into the Mobo since it has a usb 3.0 header for its cable (19 bin i believe). Now, I'm trying to determine if my board supports that kind of connectivity. Base on the specs that tigerdirect provided me (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...), i have 3 USB on-board headers. Does that mean i can fit my usb 3.0 header into the mobo after all? It doesn't' specify if its usb 3.0 header or not however when it comes to my mobo.

Any help or insight can be greatly appreciated. If my mobo doesn't support usb 3.0 header, then i guess ill have to return it for another case x.x

Best solution

March 4, 2012 6:39:08 AM

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G45.html#?div=Detail
your motherboard does not have internal usb 3 headers
March 4, 2012 6:45:06 AM

I thought so. Thanks a lot outlander_04. Would there be some kind of pin converter that I can connect to the USB 3.0 headers? Like, convert the USB 3.0 headers back into USB 3.0 so i can just plug it to the back of my mobo?

If not, then I guess ill just return this case.
Related resources
March 4, 2012 6:45:16 AM

Best answer selected by PhunnyConflicts.
March 4, 2012 7:02:23 AM

Never mind i found it. its called USB 3.0 Type A Header to convert the ubs 3.0 20pin. I think i'll just return the case after all. and have a direct line of usb 3.0 wiring itself to the back of my case.
!