Need a good psu

I finished my first build and I got help from my local computer store and they said that I should get between a 550-650 watt psu instead of the 430 that I bought. They said it would not have been good for my graphics card.

I need a cheap but GOOD psu to buy. I do not know much about parts and what brands and good so if you don't mind helping me out that would be great!

Almost forgot to mention I need the psu to have a two six pin vga power rail.
12 answers Last reply
More about need good
  1. Cheap and good is always the goal. I wont suggest a PSU, but in your search, look for 80 plus certified. This ensures a 80% efficiency. Then add a medal to that, bronze, silver and gold, and you ensure even more efficiency. More efficiency means less money in power, and more importantly, less heat in your case. Your goal is to find a cheap 80 plus supply, which is hard to come by. I really like Seasonic, but they aren't necessarily cheap.
  2. Pearlmam said:
    Cheap and good is always the goal. I wont suggest a PSU, but in your search, look for 80 plus certified. This ensures a 80% efficiency. Then add a medal to that, bronze, silver and gold, and you ensure even more efficiency. More efficiency means less money in power, and more importantly, less heat in your case. Your goal is to find a cheap 80 plus supply, which is hard to come by. I really like Seasonic, but they aren't necessarily cheap.



    Thanks for the advice:)
  3. Post your complete PC specs.
  4. bartholomew said:
    Post your complete PC specs.



    Motherboard- Gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3
    Graphics card- asus gtx560 ti direct cu II top
    Memory- 4G
    Hard Drive- 750G

    Did not put everything is that as much info as you need?
  5. corsair cx 600 v2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028&Tpk=corsair%20cx%20600%20v2
    or cx 500 v2. both are 80+ rated, active pfc psus.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027&Tpk=corsair%20cx%20500%20v2
    430w is indeed inadequate especially when you take into account the 560ti's power consumption. unless the 430w psu is 80+ gold rated, then it should be fine... but i doubt it's 80+ gold rated.
  6. Antec HCG 520
    SeaSonic S12ii 520
    SeaSonic M12ii 520
    OCZ ZS Series 550W
    XFX Core Edition PRO550W

    As long as you're not Overclocking your GPU, any one of these should be sufficient.

    btw, which CPU? is it OC'd?
  7. bartholomew said:
    Antec HCG 520
    SeaSonic S12ii 520
    SeaSonic M12ii 520
    OCZ ZS Series 550W
    XFX Core Edition PRO550W

    As long as you're not Overclocking your GPU, any one of these should be sufficient.

    btw, which CPU? is it OC'd?



    Sorry I ment to put the CPU.
    It is a intel core i3 2120.
    Thanks man I will check them out.
    My GPU says overclocked on the box I do not know if that means it is already overclocked or it just has the ability to be overclocked.
  8. if the box says overclocked, then it means that the graphics card has been factory-overclocked i.e. it is already overclocked.
  9. Its OC'd at 900mhz right?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121425

    If yes, then those PSUs should be sufficient. :)
  10. bartholomew said:
    Its OC'd at 900mhz right?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121425

    If yes, then those PSUs should be sufficient. :)



    It is 3.3 Ghz
  11. bartholomew said:
    Its OC'd at 900mhz right?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121425

    If yes, then those PSUs should be sufficient. :)


    Ohhhh wait i thought you ment the cpu. yes the graphics card is 900mhz
  12. Watch the NewEgg shell shockers. I've recently bought some 620w Antec Neo Ecos for $49.99 and then got $15 rebates on top of that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product