Windows XP Professional Icon Question

Hello,

I have just installed Windows XP Professional. I just switched from
Windows Me. My question is about the icons on my desktop. I cannot
seem to make them get adjusted on the screen the way I want. I try to
make adjustments to the vertical (icon spacing), but they won't move.
I have auto arrange and align to grid unchecked. I would like to group
them a little closer and have only 7 icons in a row versus 9. Any ones
help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you!

Right click the desktop, open display properties, go to Appearance, click on
the Advanced button. Under Item, look for Icon Spacing settings.