Ouick question re: Graphic card installation.

Dastardley

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Installing a graphic card NVidea 8400 GS 512mb Card, Everytime I connect the two-pin wire connection to the card from the motherboard the pc will not power-up at all. If I do not connect the two-pin connection the pc powers on fine. do I NEED to connect this two pin connection the card has no fan just a heatsink? Will the card work without the wired connection?

saratj1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I dont believe your hooking up the correct things. a pic would be helpful. Don't hook up the wire. I'm afraid you may damage your card or system.

What is the 2 pin connector for? Is it for the fan that is on the card and are you trying to connect it to the motherboard? That 2 pin connector should be only connected to the card itself. Is it the SPDIF cable for sound and are you using the right connectors on the motherboard. You need to be a little more specific on what you are trying to do.

Dastardley

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

pc002.jpg

You see the little square two pin connector between those two round things (sorry don't know what these are called) well i connected the wire from that to the m/b

If you look closely at this picture below you can just about see my old card ( an old Geforce 8400GS with fan 128MB) with this same two pin connector wired up to the m/b in a small two pin socket next my power cable connection. (apologies for the poor phone images)

pc001v.jpg

Dastardley

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Ok my friend, sorry for the lack of information. I am a COMPLETE novice.....This is the first time I have changed my Graphic card.

My old Graphic card is fried that was a GeForce 8400GS 128MB it had a fan and the small two-pin connection on the underside of the card was wired to my motherboard....This is a medion machine and the first time I have had the back off it...so this is how it came to me. I bought a new card, a Geforce 8400 GS 512MB this one has no fan (in the picture) Now when I take the old card out and replace it with the new card AND take the two pin connection and wire it to the two pin slot on the new card (which I thought was correct but have no clue really hence my post) the pc will NOT power up at all....nothing. When I remove the wire from the card it powers up fine.....So with the old card the pc powers up fine but I have no graphics....and with the new card if i use the wire the pc will not even power on...I was thinking I had a faulty new card out the box.....BUT maybe I am wrong and this new card doesn't need to be wiored to the mb like the old one does..basically thats my question. Does the new card need to be wired, should it be wired...like I said I am a novice and have no clue.

Dastardley

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Ok thank you! I have installed the card and the drivers(without the wire attached) and I have another problem. The machine will power up, go through the boot process, but it wont load windows...I get to the Intel logo and then the little green bar...then the screen just stays blank.

If I uninstall the drivers It will boot into windows with no problem but in device manager it states I am using VGA and it has the yellow sign with the black exclamation mark indicating a problem. If I install the nvidea drivers either from the disc that came with the graphic card or direct from nvidea site......It makes no difference.....I still can only boot as far as the Intel Logo and green bar.....then blank screen. Remove the drivers and I can boot into windows succefully.....Any ideas as to what the problem is would be VERY welcome......I have been on this problem continuosly since last night.