Sign in with
Your question

Fixing a bottleneck? 550 Ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2012 7:06:10 PM

Should be getting my 550 Ti soon (Returned it for a refund because I thought there was something wrong with it). I'm planning on getting the EVGA model. Turns out my CPU (Athlon II x3) was bottlenecking the GPU due to the fact I was running at 1280x1024, causing the strain on the CPU because the GPU doesn't need to work as much. I only have a 1280x1024 monitor and a 1366x768 monitor. Is there any way I can prevent the bottleneck via software or something (Possibly underclocking to even them out?) since I don't have the money for a new monitor or CPU. This isn't a giant problem for me, but it's bad enough to only allow me to run Battlefield 3 at medium settings (Though I should be able to run at Ultra at 1280x1024). I really don't want to end up not being able to play games properly, but I just don't have the money for new hardware right now.

More about : fixing bottleneck 550

January 2, 2012 12:18:56 AM

sorry there is no way to "fix" a bottleneck(besides getting a new cpu) it is because your cpu is not good enough you can try to overclock your cpu. but under clocking your gpu would not help.
January 2, 2012 12:58:46 AM

demar3214 said:
sorry there is no way to "fix" a bottleneck(besides getting a new cpu) it is because your cpu is not good enough you can try to overclock your cpu. but under clocking your gpu would not help.

Ok thanks. Managed to get my CPU up to 3.495GHz, hopefully that should show a significant improvement, though probably not that great.
a c 92 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2012 7:50:06 AM

you probably weren't getting bottlenecked in the first place. the 550 is just not a powerful card and a athlon x3 is more than enough power for it.
!