Sign in with
Your question

MSI AMD Radeon HD6970 Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 1, 2012 7:09:21 PM

Well i bought MSI hd6970 2 months ago but i have a problem now... Im having terrible low fps especially on rpg games like swtor,witcher 2,skyrim its like between 15-20 fps with maxed settings on 1080p with supersampling turned off..

My system settings are.

AMD Phenom II 940 X4 black edition 3ghz
8gb ddr2 ram
500gb+500gb raid hdd
2GB MSI HD6970
500 watt power

My friend have the same card with better power supply and he has like 60 fps without any lag in game with v-sync on. But i wonder why i have 15-20fps in game. Even i checked task manager while playing.Games wont use %100 of system.its like using 3.5 gb of ram %55 of my gpu and half of my cpu while playing. I suspect from my power supply is low for hd6790. guessing 500 watt power supply cant give full power to my hd6970. I was suspecting my cpu makes bottleneck with hd6970 but my friend have the same system just with more better power supply.But i dont wanna buy it without really knowing my issue. If you help my problem i will be thankful...
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 7:25:21 PM

Could be drivers just uninstall the drivers and uninstall the card then blow it out the dust and re install the card and drivers and see how she goes. I hope the card has not become defective and the rest of your rig looks good so it has to be 1 - A problem with the physical card or 2 - A problem with drivers. Is your PSU of good quality because a decent 500watt would have no problem running a Phenom II x4 and a 6970 rig.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 7:28:23 PM

Quote:
See this:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-rad...
it says at least you need a 550W.
What exactly the Power supply?
Brand and all other specs I mean.

A decent 500watts PSU is more than adequate to run a 6950 and never never go off what the manufacturer recommends for a min PSU wattage because they always way overshoot to compensate for all the POS generic PSUs that come in them Brick and mortar store bought PCs.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2012 7:31:29 PM

Headspin_69 said:
A decent 500watts PSU is more than adequate to run a 6950 and never never go off what the manufacturer recommends for a min PSU wattage because they always way overshoot to compensate for all the POS generic PSUs that come in them Brick and mortar store bought PCs.

I know, have you read my other questions down the link.............
January 1, 2012 7:37:06 PM

I got xsilence 500 watt buyed it like 2 years ago dont know the other specs of it.But i always have this problem even when i first buy 6970.and i formatted my pc 2 times after i got this card and all the time it gives same fps.My friend has 60 without any drops.Mine is like changing all the time like 10-20-15-30 even when im not doing anything in game.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 7:39:39 PM

sounds like a software problem. either your drivers are being annoying or you have a program using up your resources.

first check your processes and remove anything you dont need to play the game.
if it fixes it, yay, if it doesnt then uninstall your video driver, run driver sweeper then reinstall.

its not the power supply. when your system needs more than it can supply. your computer will restart or just shut off. rarely it will hang instead, but you wont get lowered fps as a result.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 7:41:12 PM

phenom_47 said:
I got xsilence 500 watt buyed it like 2 years ago dont know the other specs of it.But i always have this problem even when i first buy 6970.and i formatted my pc 2 times after i got this card and all the time it gives same fps.My friend has 60 without any drops.Mine is like changing all the time like 10-20-15-30 even when im not doing anything in game.

I need more info than Xsilence and that sounds like a jankey PSU to me but give me more to go on about the model etc I never heard of that OEM.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2012 7:46:23 PM

Maybe its a bad idea, but tell your friend to do a favor for you and try his Power supply then.
Also Whats your mainboard. have it had the latest BIOS?
January 1, 2012 7:48:50 PM

I have gigabyte MA770UD3 i downloaded drives from the website of it 1 month ago i dont think it have some problem...
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2012 7:53:21 PM

phenom_47 said:
http://www.xilence.net/en/products/power-supplies/red-w... here is the one i have and i forget to tell about funniest part that fps doesnt change even when i change resoultion in game from 1080p to 800*600 it just stays same all the time also when i lower the settings..

Your PSU if it is functioning as it is intended is not the problem.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2012 8:12:47 PM

Have you tested your system with a single hard drive?
January 1, 2012 8:20:12 PM

No but my raid hdd's are strange too they were transfer files at 137 -150mb per sec before now they are just transfering at 50-60
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2012 8:29:00 PM

could you try with one other hdd with a fresh installed Windows now?
!