chandradhar

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hello,I'm going to build a new computer. I use it for heavy gaming,Animation softwares and Video editing. I have searched a number of processors and finally selected Intel i5 2500k. I think that best suits my work. Suggest me some more better processors in the same price range of i5 2500k (A bit more is alright but not very costly).
Also which motherboard suits well with i5 2500k .
Do I need coolers (I live in India). My previous PC's have died because of the high temperature problems.So what I need:

1. Best mother board for i5 2500k
2. Do I need a cooler??
3. Suggest me Graphic Card?
4. What are high frequency RAMs. Explain.

Solution
Hi there,

The 2500k is an excellent choice. This is the best cpu you can get. The i7 is there, but 'literally' you won't notice any difference. I sort of think its more for the ignorant people that intel has all those more expensive processors. :).........

Motherboard, get a z68 board. Why it has the ability to run both the internal graphics that the i5 processor provides and an addon graphics card 'simultaneously'. A P67 board you 'will' have to add a card and the graphics in the i5 can't be used. The graphics in the i5 is 'very very' good in transcoding video. So you don't want to miss that.

And since your budget is only $600, you may not have money leftover to buy a graphics card.

The i5 will cost you more than Rs.12000

An Asus...

chandradhar

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
My budget is around 500-600 usd. I've seen the guide. There in the Bargain list, The given mother board is ASROCK one and We don't get them in India. I need service if in case I get a repair. I need Asus or MSI motherboard below 200USD. SLI/Crossfire support is optional but need to have good memory frequency(atleast more than 1600 Mhz)

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/96218-hardware-price-list-spec-sheet.html
this may help you.
If you live in delhi, then smc and cost2cost are best shop in nehru place.
Here are some configurations for different budget range.
www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/150819-pc-buying-guide-2012-q1.html

2500k is best , according to your purpose, nvidia cards are better option for you, but wait for gtx6 series as they will have more performance per watt
here are some unconfirmed(leaked) comparision.
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/malmental/gtx-6-series-2.jpg

chandradhar

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: Mostly by March Last Week
Budget Range: 500-600 usd

System Usage from Most to Least Important:Gaming,Animation,HD Videos

Parts Not Required:

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Flipkart.com

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Processor - Intel i5 2500k
Motherboard - Asus or MSI

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: Not Particular
Additional Comments: I play games like GTA4, L.A.Noire,FIFA 12 etc.. I use softwares like DarkBasic Pro,Photoshop,Flash,Blender,3DS Max etc. I generally use my PC for 15-18 hours a day.

thomas12

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hi there,

The 2500k is an excellent choice. This is the best cpu you can get. The i7 is there, but 'literally' you won't notice any difference. I sort of think its more for the ignorant people that intel has all those more expensive processors. :).........

Motherboard, get a z68 board. Why it has the ability to run both the internal graphics that the i5 processor provides and an addon graphics card 'simultaneously'. A P67 board you 'will' have to add a card and the graphics in the i5 can't be used. The graphics in the i5 is 'very very' good in transcoding video. So you don't want to miss that.

And since your budget is only $600, you may not have money leftover to buy a graphics card.

The i5 will cost you more than Rs.12000

An Asus P8Z68 V gen3 will cost about Rs.14000

I am suggesting an Asus here because over many many years I have found Asus to have greater longivity than Gigabyte or MSI. Gigabyte when it goes bad they have excellent service in the larger cities (don't know about smaller ones), and they will repair even if it was our fault.

Please don't go above a p8z68 v gen3, its not worth the price. The gen3 is because its now ready for the new ivy bridge processors that will come out in May, and it has pci express 3. Also the p8z68 v (without gen3) doesn't have support a dual pci 16x. So the above board is the best for the money.

Ram, don't worry about speed and all those things. Makes hardly any difference.

Get a single 8gb stick to start with, since you need video 32 gb of memory is something that you can use.

Corsair gives a 10yr warranty with a price same as others, so I would suggest that.

Cooler, this processor can be overclocked like hell, 4.8GHz 24/7 is possible, but for that you would need a proper cooloer like a Corsair H100 which will set you back by Rs.7000.

For now you could get the Coolermaster hyper 212 evo. You should be able to get 4.5GHz 24/7 with it. But you may have to dial it down during the summer and also clean it frequently depending on how dusty your area is. So as you can see you get only a little performance increase in getting the corsair h100.

Shops:
theitdepot.com
theitwares.com
lynx-india.com
smcinternational.in
primeabgb.com
deltapage.com

Hope this helped.

Solution

seumas_beathan

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Hi there,

I think you will find that you are wrong, Yes when it comes to gaming you will notice next to no difference but when it comes to things like video encoding etc the i7's with hyper threading and extra cores will do far better

why do you need to have good memory frequency what does that mean?

there are only 2 I7's the hyperthreading of lower i7's is NOT very bad, initially there was only one i7. And that has nothing do to with memory speed.

Do you actually know what you are talking about? if you don't thats ok, but phrase what you are saying as a question.