Myyu

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello.

I'll post my specs in a min, but I'm having a MAJOR problem with computer, and I think its the video card.

When ever I try to play anything even remotely heavy, my comp crashes. The screens splits in half and then I'll get a colored vertical scanline-ish screen. I have to hard reboot.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

SPECS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229283

I did add a 2 120mm fans however.

I'm using a 23" ACER monitor primary, and I was using a 19" sansui secondary. (haven't used the secondary since this started happening.

As I'm typeing this my GPU temp is 39 degrees C.

Myyu

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I updated, and installed and re installed 3 different versions. Same problem.

Thankfully, if the card is bad, at least its still under warranty.

I wont be able to contact the retailer till Tuesday, so any other tests or replies are welcome.

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008

How quickly does the temperature increase. If it is a sudden increase only taking a few seconds then your GPU might be getting hot enough to reset during the time between temperature updates in whatever software you are using to measure the temperature. If that is the case, send it back as the heat sink probably wasn't installed properly.

If the temperature increases slowly, say only 2 or 3 degrees every few seconds, then its probably not the above problem. Slow brain finally thought of it this morning.

Myyu

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

It took it about 8 seconds to jump from 38 to 58 then it crashed.

I'm leaning more towards the heat sink now also, becasue if I can exit out of the program quick enough after it messes up, It will go back to normal.

Myyu

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Well, out of nowhere, I got a AMD driver has failed error.

Also, the GPU load goes jumps to 100% also.

chippies

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008

This looks like the graphics card has become unstable and and is generating errors, not surprising since it's overheating. One more reason to return it.

Myyu

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Well, called the company and got a RMA number. Now I get to wait a week. Thanks for all your help.