Sign in with
Your question

$280 PC Build

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2012 2:08:13 PM

Hello fellow forumers,
I was asked to build a cheap $280 (300 max) PC. This PC is going to be used for playing WoW at ultra low settings (yes, you read that right). The person I am building it for is on a low budget as you an tell. These are my options for parts:
http://www.4shared.com/office/tbOt6n7m/OptionalPartsForBuild.html It's a pdf. (I made a mistake. I'm not using the Ripjaws cause 32x XP will limit is, so I am going to use the 4GB Mushkin).
Anyways, I'm salvaging a 430w PSU from an old computer as well as an optical drive and a HDD with XP.
This is what I wanted to ask about. This hard drive is from an 05' (I think) school computer. I read somewhere that you can't use this version of XP on a different computer. Clear this up for me?
And the monitor is VGA, so graphics card must have a DVI to VGA adapter or just VGA port.
I'm here for recommendations so please tell specific parts. I'm looking for a solid but cheap build.
Thanks in advance,
Gc

More about : 280 build

March 4, 2012 2:10:33 PM

Please link or at least print out the parts here..
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:24:01 PM
Related resources
March 4, 2012 2:48:28 PM

Quote:
This hard drive is from an 05' (I think) school computer. I read somewhere that you can't use this version of XP on a different computer. Clear this up for me?

You can't just take an OS Drive from one computer and put it into another computer and expect it to work. In most cases, it won't and a re-install of the OS is required. Do you have an operating system to install on this system?

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:49:33 PM

The second Asus board doesn't fit that CPU its a FM1 socket
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:57:08 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Quote:
This hard drive is from an 05' (I think) school computer. I read somewhere that you can't use this version of XP on a different computer. Clear this up for me?

You can't just take an OS Drive from one computer and put it into another computer and expect it to work. In most cases, it won't and a re-install of the OS is required. Do you have an operating system to install on this system?

-Wolf sends

Can't I just reformat windows? I have ultimate 64x but it's used. I don't know how many uses it has.
m
l
March 4, 2012 2:58:15 PM

AlderonnX said:
The second Asus board doesn't fit that CPU its a FM1 socket

Sorry, never noticed.
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:00:24 PM
March 4, 2012 3:08:44 PM

AlderonnX said:
That build will play wow pretty well, my wife has a AthlonX2 dual core and a HD 4650 and Win XP and she can play really well at med.

Ah, thanks. I thought this wouldn't run wow even at low settings haha. Thanks for the news.
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:10:51 PM

gcmartini said:
Can't I just reformat windows? I have ultimate 64x but it's used. I don't know how many uses it has.

It can only be installed on one computer at a time. If that licensed version is not currently installed on another system, only then can you use it.

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:13:13 PM

Wolfshadw said:
It can only be installed on one computer at a time. If that licensed version is not currently installed on another system, only then can you use it.

-Wolf sends

The copy of ultimate or the hard drive with XP? Which one can be installed on another system?
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:14:20 PM

when i put a new board in my wife's PC it made me call Microsoft and validate the license. 15 mins and done. I would try that first.. Just tell them that your old Motherboard is bad and you are REPAIRING the computer

Edit: You will need the key code off the old case..

Good luck
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:29:07 PM

gcmartini said:
The copy of ultimate or the hard drive with XP? Which one can be installed on another system?

The hard drive with Windows XP already installed onto it will not work with your new system. Windows XP, installed on the hard drive, is expecting a specific motherboard. Not finding it, it will fail to boot. If you have the license key from the old system, you may be able (as AlderonnX states), to contact Microsoft and have them re-validate the license. You will need that installation disk as well.

The copy of Windows 7 Ultimate can only be installed on one system at a time. If that license is not currently installed on another system, you can use it.

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:38:24 PM

Wolf is right, i did have the old XP disk from the HP pc as well.

And yes the 6670 Ivan linked is fine to...
m
l
March 4, 2012 3:45:55 PM

AlderonnX said:
Wolf is right, i did have the old XP disk from the HP pc as well.

And yes the 6670 Ivan linked is fine to...

Alrighty so I have to purchase windows also, thanks guys.
m
l
March 4, 2012 4:42:14 PM

Shipping and having to purchase Windows is going to kill any chance of meeting your budget. Any chance you can salvage the old case as well? If so...

Case: You already have
Power Supply: You already have
Motherboard: Biostar A55MH FM1 - $65
CPU: AMD Llano A4-3300 - $68
RAM: Team Elite 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 - $20
Hard Drive: You already have
Optical Drive: You already have
Graphics card: Embedded in CPU

Add in about $21 in shipping costs and your total comes to about $289

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 4, 2012 8:09:25 PM

Wolfshadw said:
Shipping and having to purchase Windows is going to kill any chance of meeting your budget. Any chance you can salvage the old case as well? If so...

Case: You already have
Power Supply: You already have
Motherboard: Biostar A55MH FM1 - $65
CPU: AMD Llano A4-3300 - $68
RAM: Team Elite 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 - $20
Hard Drive: You already have
Optical Drive: You already have
Graphics card: Embedded in CPU

Add in about $21 in shipping costs and your total comes to about $289

-Wolf sends

Actually, I can use the old case, good idea. I do need a decent GPU though, so I need to add an extra 75 dollars. With all the parts without the case or windows, it costs $310 (with s&h and HST). With windows, it will cost around $410. Worth it? Anyway I can get windows for cheap, even if it's XP or Vista?
m
l
March 4, 2012 9:42:42 PM

Quote:
This PC is going to be used for playing WoW at ultra low settings (yes, you read that right)

Quote:
I do need a decent GPU though

So which is it?

-Wolf sends
m
l
March 4, 2012 11:15:18 PM

As in a decent GPU, I mean anything but integrated. Help me with processor choice? Sorry for the lack of being specific.
Gc
m
l
Anonymous
March 4, 2012 11:36:08 PM

gcmartini said:
As in a decent GPU, I mean anything but integrated. Help me with processor choice? Sorry for the lack of being specific.
Gc

That's an easy choice go with the sandy bridge cpu. You would need a 775 motherboard for the E5700. What resolution are you gaming at?
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:05:48 AM

Quote:
What's your max resolution? what screen are you using?

I actually have no clue. Why? what'cha checkin'?
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:08:24 AM

wolfshadow. no. you can take the hard drive from one comp and put it in another with the windows on it. i have done it many times with older computers. you just have to wait while the windows "finds drivers for new hardware" foir every hardware component. that is how i was testing hard drives in some windows 98/ME/2000 era computers. and it is also what i will be doing with my next build (just about the same budget range) i have a hard drive with windows XP and it should just have to find drivers etc for all the hardware.
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:14:59 AM

mildgamer001 said:
wolfshadow. no. you can take the hard drive from one comp and put it in another with the windows on it. i have done it many times with older computers. you just have to wait while the windows "finds drivers for new hardware" foir every hardware component. that is how i was testing hard drives in some windows 98/ME/2000 era computers. and it is also what i will be doing with my next build (just about the same budget range) i have a hard drive with windows XP and it should just have to find drivers etc for all the hardware.

Wow thanks. That will save me over 100 bucks.
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:16:19 AM

scratch that last post, i just remembered that back when windows ME was around you didnt need the codes and you could re use the disks as much as you wanted pretty much. guess ill have to go find a windows XP pro disk so i can use the code on my case... or the code on my other case with it. anywhere to get the XP disks free or really cheap? my desktop that i was going to scrounge the har ddrive from doesnt have any back up disk burning software, or a dvd burner for thet matter. im not higjacking thread im trying to get info for me while i help martini lol
m
l
Anonymous
March 5, 2012 12:17:15 AM

gcmartini said:
I actually have no clue. Why? what'cha checkin'?

resolution is very important when picking a gpu.
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:20:55 AM

sorry about that. im not sure if you can just call microsoft and have them revalidate it or if you have to get another disk for it. if you do need another disk, as any friends or nieghbors nearby that may have a disk, it wont devalidate theirs, and you can re use as many times as you want to (only if you have more codes, the disk is reusable, not the codes, unless you revalidate etc whatever)
m
l
March 5, 2012 12:22:43 AM

Quote:
resolution is very important when picking a gpu.

I know that, I picked one.
m
l
!