Overall score!!!

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hi there! I have an Core i3 2100 oc to 3212 MHz in an Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM MoBo with 2GB of DDR3 1389 MHz. With the latest drivers from Intel it the Windows experience index give an overall score of 4.3 points.

A couple of days ago i did some work in a friend's pc that has exactly the same hardware (even the HDD) except for the brand of the RAM. She does not even has it overclocked and the experience index is 4.6!!! And for filling up the cup, i checked another friends PC that has (again) the same hardware and the score is 4.6 too!!! Why is that!!! THere is something wrong with my hardaware|? :heink:

Solution

As far as I know, Windows Experience Index uses the lowest score to determine your overall score. In other words, WEI works under the assumption that the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. In your case, the graphics' subsystem is the weakest link, so your WEI matches your GPU's.

That said, if the graphics' subsystem is your weakest link, then your RAM shouldn't matter.

And if your friends' hardware really is...
He mentioned the hardware being the same - what about the drivers? Outdated drivers can account for the slower performance. The Windows Index Score isn't the best indicator of performance - only a basic Windows score as Microsoft utilizes the system.

It means nothing for other programs....I agree with the above statements, that something like 3DMark will give a better performance indicator for all around system performance.

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Processor----7.1
RAM-----------5.5
Graphics ----4.3
Game graphics---5.9
HDD-----------5.9

Al the other PCs have 4.6 there! And one of them have 6.8 :eek: in Game graphics!!! all with the same i3 i have. :pt1cable:

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I don't have a dedicated GPU. I live in Cuba :??: , and here... well this i Cuba. Nevermind, My Intel HD Grpahics 2000 drivers are 9.17.10.2932 from 12/12/2012, i think are the latest.

alaintroll

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
they don't any either!!! I'm telling they have EXACTLY the same hardware, including HDDs. the only difference is that i'm using a SUPERTALENT 02 2GB DDR3 with XMP overclocked to 1389 MHz and they are using another brand with no XMP an clocked to 1372 MHz. i know all that 'cause i overclocked their PCs myself.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

As far as I know, Windows Experience Index uses the lowest score to determine your overall score. In other words, WEI works under the assumption that the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. In your case, the graphics' subsystem is the weakest link, so your WEI matches your GPU's.

That said, if the graphics' subsystem is your weakest link, then your RAM shouldn't matter.

And if your friends' hardware really is exactly identical to yours (other than the RAM), then maybe there's a Window's Update (software patch) that changes the way WEI evaluates the Intel integrated GPU -- and either you or your friends have yet to apply that patch.

Dunno. Strange issue. Still, unless you have noticeable performance problems otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about what the WEI tells you. If you have the time/inclination, you might run some other benchmarks and ask your friends to do the same, so you can compare notes. rgd1101 posted a good general computer-platform benchmark earlier in the thread. If you want to test the GPU, you can grab 3dMark from the same site (Futuremark).

Solution