FX 6100, 4100, or 965 black?

wondermonkeys09

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I am building a gaming rig, and I have 3 options. The FX 6100, the FX4100, a phenom 95 black. I do plan to do some overclocking. I figure 6 cores will keep me future proofed for a while. Also, I am going to overclock my 560 as well. Here are the rest of my specs:

Graphics card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/DVI/MiniHDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B

Motherboard: BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD

Tower: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Power supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Hard drive: Western Digital Blue 320 Gb

Please let me know whether my power supply can do two overclocks. If it can`t, which should I choose to overclock?

Solution
First to last: 965, 4170, 8120/50.

No point in any of the other FX's.

Just get a good aftermarket cooler and OC the 965.

And that particular Corsair is a lower end model and wouldn't be my first choice, but it SHOULD get the job done.

Nor do you need to. I own an i5-2400 rig, it doens't do anything noticeably better than my P-II. On paper it performs better, in actual realistic experience, nope.
My significant other had it built at a local shop a year and a half ago or so, not long after SB rolled out. . Not a bad rig for $700 I think he got it done for. It has a GTX 460 1GB card in it, back when they were still $200.

wondermonkeys09

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Good, because I am getting recommended an i5 every time, and the answer is always the same. "I can`t afford one." It is actually getting a bit annoying. >.>

wondermonkeys09

Honorable
May 28, 2012

I did not understand anything you typed after the word "PSU"

Oh.. version 2. Theres been at least 3 versions of the Corsair CX series (even though they're calling the ones they have now version 2). The first version was really good, the 2nd was mediocre, and now they're decent again.

1st version was made by Seasonic.

2nd and 3rd (current "v2") are made by Channel Well Technologies. The middle ones were goofy.

wondermonkeys09

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Back onto the topic of benchmark whores, somebody actually told that a little pentium would outperform a 965 black. Is there any truth to this? I mean intel, hands down, makes the far superior processors above 150 dollars, but I thought amd made better budget processors.

Yea, I've heard people say that too, they're smoking crack to put it bluntly. Firstly, the Phenom II is a quad core, the Pentium and even the i3 are dual cores. While the i3 has HyperThreading, and the individual cores are slightly stronger than Phenom IIs, the fact is, both of them are still half the CPU a Phenom II is in terms of design.

Now its true that most games only use 2 cores, but who really uses their computer just for gaming? Maybe some folks do, but I'd say if thats all you're doing with a computer, maybe you'd be better off buying an Xbox 360?

Every program that can use more than 2 cores the Phenom II is going to outperform. This includes multitasking, handling background programs that are running while playing games and certain games which can benefit from more cores, currently the only game that does is Battlefield 3. There is no guarantee this will remain the only game which can use a quad.