Should I buy a used rig, or new custom parts?

josgilmore

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I've been looking to build myself a decent gaming rig that I can also do multitasking/recording on for a little while now (my xps laptop just doesn't cut it). I've run across a $200 shipped radeon 6950, and I think I'm going to try and build a computer around it since it seems like a pretty good deal. My question is, should I just buy custom parts and try and build my own computer, or just use a rig one of my buddies is trying to sell?

My friend's rig has a rampage III formula mobo, intel i7 950 @3.06ghz, 8gb of mushkin blackline ram, and 750w modular power supply. He also said its all in a fractal design r3, but I have no idea what that means. He wants to sell that for $400.

If I didn't get that, I would probably budget around $500 for parts besides the gpu. I would also want at least an i5, but I have no idea about mobos, ram, or psu. Can someone let me know if the other rig is a good deal, or if I could get a better deal seeking deals online?

ps. I need to know before this Friday, as that's when I'll be visiting this friend (we live in different states).

Thanks in advanced!

Solution
you should go and buy your friend's build. Those parts easily go over the $500 mark. The fractal design r3 is a computer case, designed around dampening the noise your build produces.

the case goes for around $100 new
about $260 for the intel i7 950
power supply is around $120 if it is gold rated (efficiency) and goes down by each rating (silver, bronze, just 80+ efficiency)
motherboard is above $100 for sure but i can't find the price

with just the 4 parts (without the motherboard) you are already above $400. Get your friend's, great deal on his rig. The only thing is, you may have to get a video card since i don't see any in his build (should be in your budget since you are willing to spend $500 + video card for your own build)

paulhoang

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
you should go and buy your friend's build. Those parts easily go over the $500 mark. The fractal design r3 is a computer case, designed around dampening the noise your build produces.

the case goes for around $100 new
about $260 for the intel i7 950
power supply is around $120 if it is gold rated (efficiency) and goes down by each rating (silver, bronze, just 80+ efficiency)
motherboard is above $100 for sure but i can't find the price

with just the 4 parts (without the motherboard) you are already above $400. Get your friend's, great deal on his rig. The only thing is, you may have to get a video card since i don't see any in his build (should be in your budget since you are willing to spend $500 + video card for your own build)

Solution

Your friend's build seems like a pretty nice deal. I'd go for that. Although, I'd advise using the rule I use for buying cars, you shouldn't buy cars from friends. Just in case something goes wrong with it and your friendship is in jeopardy over it.