Pc crash on startup, new Radeon 6870

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahur

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi everyone, I just upgraded my old GTS 250 for a new Gigabyte AMD Radeon 6870 HD. I installed the card and double checked that all the connections we're correctly plug. Everything went fine and the card seemed to be working so I installed the display driver and then rebooted the cpu. The problem is at the startup, after the win logo the computer crash and reboot, at some point I even got a BSOD but most of the time it just shut down and the computer reboot.

Here my setup :

CPU : Intel Core 2 quad CPU q6600 @ 2.4 ghz
GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon 6870 HD
mobo : Asus P5N-e sli
Memory : 4gb ddr2
PSU : Antec earth watts 500w

So I was wondering what should I do. Should I get a new PSU ? I know the minimum for this card is 500w but I have read somewere else that this PSU is more than enough for this card or maybe the card was DOA and I should RAM the card ?

Think I have already done :

- Updated the bios to the last version.
- Formated the Pc.

So if any of you guys I have any advice I'm running out of idea here. Thank you !
Sorry for the my bad english.

Solution
Let's back up...
You say you formatted the HDD the O.S. is on? You must have been able to successfully boot to the Win7 DVD in the optical drive then, right?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Did you uninstall your old Nvidia driver first? If not, that could be your problem. Otherwise...
You may need to clean your system of old drivers, registry errors, and resource wasting garbage. Try this; since you can't boot to Windows, boot to Safe Mode (tap F8 at boot) and run Driver Sweeper. Have it find and remove any Nvidia and AMD/ATI graphics driver files it finds. Reboot. Windows should load a generic graphics driver. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both. Reboot again. Install the new driver for your HD 6870.

Driver Sweeper (free): http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
CCleaner (free): http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Ahur

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I did both and I still have a crash after winlogo on the startup, the computer just turn off and reboot after the driver installation. I had the chance to try the card on one of my friend computer with a 850w PSU and the card work just fine so I guess the problem is from my PSU. The minimum requirement is 500w but the recommended is 600w so I guess my PSU is not good enough or he not working at is full power. I will try to get a new PSU tomorrow and see if this fix my issue.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A 500W PSU shouldn't be a problem just booting to Windows. The card will only draw its max wattage while gaming at stressful levels. Even then, 500W should be sufficient. Here is a PSU calculator to judge the size PSU you need:
http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

You may need to do a clean install of Windows.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I just re-read your initial post. I guess I missed the part where you said it mostly re-boots. Yes, that is a symptom of a failing or too small PSU. Considering its size is sufficient, it may indeed be failing. You may be on the right track with replacing it if those other 'fixes' didn't solve the problem. Keep me posted with the results, if you would...

Ahur

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi, sorry for not updating you I was waiting for my new PSU. Just intalled a new antec 650w earthwatts and I still have the same problem .... I just don't know what to do now. The only difference is that I saw my mouse for half a second on the first load and then everything just turn off.

I tryed the options to disable driver signature enforcement ( from the safe mode boot menu ) and I got a BSOD, I saw this BSOD before the window reinstallation but since then reinstall this was the first time this BSOD poped before the crash.

Here the info from bluescreenview

==================================================
Dump File : 010612-21200-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2012-01-06 17:41:41
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc00002e3
Parameter 1 : fffff8a0`004e03b0
Parameter 2 : ffffffff`c0000189
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+705c0
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16841 (win7_gdr.110622-1503)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+705c0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\010612-21200-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 275 016
==================================================

I'm really out of idea here .. the last two thing I could see is the motherboard or the processors ( or maybe the chipset drivers ? I can't find them anywhere for window 7 64bits)

Thank for the help so far !

Ahur

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I can boot the O.S in safe mode and uninstall the drivers ( I'm on the computer right now with the Standard VGA graphic adapter installed for my Video card ). The problem occur when I install the AMD drivers and then reboot the computer. I can see that the driver are correctly installed ( in the device manager ) but when I reboot the computer, the crash happen at the end of the Win logo.

Ahur

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I did everything you said in your thread but it not working for me ... no blue screen this time but the computer still shut down.

Ahur

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Sadly no ... But i can try to install a legit windows vista 64 bits and see if it change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.