Radeon HD 5750 doesn't display on screen or show in device manager

lemonwall

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello!

So I just bought a new motherboard, CPU and ram because my last motherboard was sick and became aggravatingly unstable.

This is what I have now:
ASUS M4A88T-M motherboard
Athlon II X4 645 quad core processor
ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics card
4 GB DDR3 ram

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The on board graphics chip is a ATI HD Radeon 4250.

I bought the motherboard, CPU and ram from a local computer shop, who had diagnosed my computer. They picked the parts and so they should all be compatible with one another. I installed them all.

Everything appears to be fine except that I cannot seem to install the graphics card. I installed it just fine on my last system, but I can't get the system to recognize it at all. When the monitor is plugged into the card the monitor searches for a signal but can't find anything.

The fan spins on the card when the computer is on.
The device monitor doesn't ever seem to recognize the card is there.
I've tried disabling as well as uninstalling the on board graphics.
The BIOS settings say that the PCI express slot should have priority for graphics display.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

smokincola

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Yeah, what wattage is your power supply ? The step up from powering an onboard chip to powering an actual discreet card can be fairly steep. I'm sure I read somewhere that the recommended PSU for an HD5750 is 450watt, I'm guessing the HD4250 doesn't need anything like that amount of power.

lemonwall

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
It's a 500 watt Foxtech power supply.

The thing is that I just had the computer looked at for a number of days. I was having issues when I was playing graphically intensive games, lots of BSOD. They considered the power supply as a possible cause, but it turned out to be the motherboard.