Stuck between a 3770 and 3770k

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I've been trying to determine whether a 3770k is worth it over the vanilla 3770. I use my rig mainly for gaming, but will be getting into video and photo editing once I scratch together enough money for CS 5 or 6. My question is, because I really am not a huge overclocker and only ever did for a bit of fun, is the overclocked performance of the 3770k that much better than the 3770? Keep in mind, I'm coming from a Phenom II x4 980, and I'm guessing it will be a pretty big leap in performance anyways.

Thanks for the help, and I apologize if this question has been asked ad-nauseam.

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

That's what brought me to the decision of going for the i7. I've tried overclocking for at least 6-8 months now, and for whatever reason I can't find a stable clock over 4ghz. I've gone through tutorial after tutorial, as I am a relative noob at overclocking, and none of them seem to work. I kind of just want to upgrade to a 3770 or k and be done with it. I figured the gap in performance would equal a 980BE overclocked, but I could be completely off-base. I've never owned an Intel chip before.

Most phenom II's only hit around 4ghz. There's no point of getting a 3770/K, because the 980BE is the highest end Phenom X4. If you would upgrade, wait another generation. As for Adobe programs, you should drop your money on a high end nvidia card with CUDA.

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=362

This is what really got me confused. Even in gaming, where the processor is not super important, the games benched have a 30-40 frame difference. In video editing, which I'll be starting shortly the difference, at least in these benches, is night and day. I'm not trying to be stubborn or a jerk, just a little confused about how it won't make much of a difference.

At resolutions under 1920x1080 / 1200, games are bound more by the CPU than the GPU because of less stress on the GPU. Lowering to resolution will increase the disparity. Increasing the resolution will lower the disparity between the CPUs as long as the CPUs does not bottleneck the GPU.

If you are not going to OC, then I think it is in your best interest to wait for Intel's next CPU; Haswell; which is coming out next year. That's when I plan on doing my upgrade... maybe I'll even wait for Broadwell in 2014...

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
well if u want to mild OC, i believe the locked 3770 will allow for a +400MHz increase (4 speed bins up) :)
That itself equates to a 10% performance increase, on top of a very powerful processor :D

Keanu Reeves

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I have one more quick question, and I didn't want to start a whole new thread to do it because that would be annoying. If I currently don't have an i7 period, would there be any reason to not go with the 3770k over the 2700k?