How long will PCI be around?

seaside_hermit

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Hey people, just wondering what you think about how long PCI will be around for? Reason being Im trying to choose between a Xonar STX (PCIe) and ST (PCI), and am wondering about how future proof a PCI sound card would be . I would normally go for the STX (PCIe) in a heartbeat because of the more modern standard, but theres an expansion card for the ST that adds 7.1 support, rather than just the stereo out of the STX, and that rather appeals to me. However if PCI is going to disappear quite soon, Ill just go with the STX instead.

To give an idea of what grade of mobo I would be using, I upgrade every couple years, and I'll be getting the next version of the asus z68v pro.

Thanks in advance everyone!

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
i would go with the pcie, but if i couldnt afford one with the support that i want, i would rather get nothing. why comprimise with your money?

i think pci, while legacy, has a few more years left, but buying into that hardware could keep you roped in to it regarding future upgrades.

next, if youre using headphones, all 7.1 support they have is through usb and drivers, unusable with your sound card. you would need a surround system to take advantage.

seaside_hermit

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Thanks for the reply bud, really appreciate your input! Im thinking pcie as well, since like you said i dont want to be constrained on any further builds. I have a 2.0 setup atm (M-Audio AV40's), but I was tempted to add in a sub at some point...I doubt I would ever go full 7.1 anywhere in the near future. Actually thinking about it, by the time I ever did go 7.1 PCI would be long gone lol, so getting a 7.1 card for 2.1 seems a bit of a waste...

On a related topic, any idea of how to get 2.1 out of two RCA outputs? :p

PCI has been "on its way out" for several years now and still shows no sign of disappearing from motherboards any time soon. So I wouldn't feel too worried.

Still if it's for something that's important to you, might as well go with pcie, since that's guaranteed to be around for quite a while and the price difference is really not too much these days.