clarkwgriswoldjr

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to run 2 monitors and am running into some issues, hoping someone here can please help me.

Intel i7 2600+ 16GB Ram Nvidia 570HD card.

Monitor one is a Dell Flatscreen, monitor 2 is an LG E2750
I've done a lot of research and I've tried using Nvidia's control panel, as well as Windows 7 control panel, to no avail.

What I would like to be able to do is to run things on the right monitor independent of the left monitor, but the mouse would come span the 2 monitors.
If I have say a game or program on the left monitor and Google on the right monitor, as soon as I click a link or do anything on the right monitor, the it closes whatever I was doing on the left monitor and moves the item from the right monitor to the left one.

I've tried numerous sites, like
http://agsci.psu.edu/it/how-to/setup-multiple-displays as well as Google, but I just can't find an answer.

Would an answer be to hook one of the monitors up to the VGA on the motherboard?
I can tell you that the Dell is listed as the "main" monitor, which I like, but having this paperweight is bothering me.

Any help is appreciated.

I don't know how you have the monitors connected , the 570 has two dvi ports and a mini hdmi port so how are the cables connected to the monitors. Do you have the desktop spanning the two monitors? So it's like one big desktop? Or do you have two seperate desktops?

clarkwgriswoldjr

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Ugh man, I'm soooo sorry I didn't put that already.

It appears that it's one huge desktop but the left desktop is faded (older dell and the right desktop is vibrant)

They are both in DVI ports.

windows 7

clarkwgriswoldjr

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hi again,

It lists the option to "set up multiple displays and shows a 1 and 2" 1 is main and 2 is other. That is all the options there are in there for multiple monitors.

It says drag the icons to match your display configuration, not sure what it is talking about there.

Right clicking on desktop gives you "Screen Resolution" you can detect or Identify and it correctly shows 1 as Dell and 2 as LG
Orientation is landscape (also tried as portrait) and under multiple displays the choices are

Extend these displays
Duplicated these displays
Show desktop only on 1
Show desktop only on 2

The last 2 options make it so one of the monitors do not work.

Ughhh I know there is something fairly simple I'm missing here. Have appreciated the responses and the time you took looking at the initial post.

clarkwgriswoldjr

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
There aren't really any options on there.

I know it's something really simple, a box somewhere not checked, some kind of slider, or the equivalent.

dxraygirl

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Do you have a dual output on your video card? put one monitor in each one two two cables.

Then go into the properties of the monitor and change the drop down box under the settings tab under display: this will change the videocard config then (both monitors should be blue if not the select the second monitor and activate. then , select the monitor you want to be the primary monitor by highlighting the monitor then put a checkmark in the box. Use this device as primary monitor. then also put check mark in the Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor. by highlighting the second monitor.

hit the Identify button to find out which is #1 and #2 monitors and then move them around so your mouse will cross from one to the other.

then apply.

this should fix your issues.

to have one program running on the right monitor open it up, maximize the screen. then click and drag it to the monitor you want to use it on.

Then open second program and maximize the window and move it to the other screen.

you will be able to move from one program to the other and keep the other open on the other screen.