Connect to computer over http request

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Ok, I do a lot of IT work at my company. I also build PC's for friends and fix problems. Issue is so many friends want help. I do not mind helping them if I could just do it, but some may live 20 minutes to an hour away. I hate to charge close friends when its a small issue and no paid software/hardware is needed.

I have been doing a lot of research trying to find like an IT program to RDP for free to very little for personal use that is very easy to understand for the end user.

An example of what I what I am speaking of, is if you deal with Verizon, or most major computer companies (Dell, etc) they can send you a URL or give you a code to use at a site, that basically lets them remote to your PC. It may require the user to install a small add on, or to allow some type of permissions, but doesn't require them to download huge programs or sign up for accounts.

I myself will create an account of course, and as I said even pay a small fee for a good program. But it's strictly for personal use and I am sure there is a good open source program I can use that I can just make a donation to.

Please don't say Microsoft proprietary RDP. It's way to much to have the user go into there firewall and unblock ports and turn on the RDP, etc. I just want to be able to make the request over web or something where they can confirm and I can fix the issue.

Thanks THCommunity!

I love LogMeIn Free as well. However, I've recently started experimenting w/ TeamViewer, and it has a couple features that would probably be ideal for your situation.

First, TeamViewer doesn't necessarily need to be installed. When the installer begins, it actually gives you the option to just run it! It then creates a unique pair of username/password values (numeric) and that machine is immediately accessible to the remote user.

Second, TeamViewer has the ability to immediately change the polarity between the two parties. IOW, while you obviously can remote into the other PC, you can also, w/ the push of a button, have the other party remote back into *your* PC! That's an awesome feature when you're, say, trying to desmonstrate something on your own screen to that user.

And once you and the other person are done, poof, you just kill the TeamViewer application. Of course, for long term purposes, you yourself would probably install permanently. But for the remote user, it just makes it easier to point to a link and say “run it, don’t install it”.

Anyway, for the kind of purposes you're describing, as much as I love LogMeIn, TeamViewer probably has the edge in this scenario.

And once you and the other person are done, poof, they and you just kills TeamViewer.

So for the kind of purposes you're describing, as much as I love LogMeIn, TeamViewer probably has the edge in this scenario.

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I am going to check that out right now.

I know about logmein too, but unless its changed much over the past 5 years when I first used it, I am pretty sure you need to install the client on their PC too and all kinds of jumbo. I am not trying to confuse people or have them say, why do I need to download this why do I need an account.

I like how you said TeamViewer generates a name/pw for them. I don't want them to have to do to much on their own. Just a simple run, go to site/log in with provided credentials/or code, bang we have connectivity.

People please keep em flowing I know there are TONS of programs, I have found many, but some weren't to my liking or to hard for the non-tech savvy user I was helping. Thanks!

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I do like the simplicity of the TeamViewer, two things however...
1. I choose (I am talking about in the application, not when running the program =)) "Run", instead of "Install", which requires admin, but the program remains. I would assume run would remove the program when done. Otherwise I see no reason to have it ask me to run or full install.
2. I keep getting a buy now pop up, which is greatly annoying. And they don't have a cheap version, it also pop's up for my remote user, which I do not like. Can this be stopped? The commercial license is way to much.

Anyone know any program this easy that don't have these annoying pop ups?

When you download the exe and run it, it specifically says, "TeamViewer is executed without installation. This does not require administrative privileges." And I verified it myself on Win7 using an ordinary user account, no admin privileges required.

As far as leaving the app behind, that’s a function of the user choosing Download rather than Run from the link. Nothing you can do about that if the user chooses to Download (that’s what download means, copy it and place it somewhere). If you or the user want the exe to “disappear” after running the installer, just choose Run rather than Download from the link.

Yes, it always presents that annoying popup at the end of the session. I have no idea if you can suppress it other than by buying it (probably not). But hey, it’s free. You often have to make at least some compromises in the name of free software. So the user closes the popup and they’re done. What’s the big deal?

Only other option is open source, but then you make other sacrifices in the name of free software (e.g., must be installed, can’t scale windows (common limitation of free version of VNC), complex setups, and who knows what else). Personally I find that one “fly in the ointment” of TeamViewer acceptable considering all the features. But hey, that’s up to you.

landsavage

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Well I don't want to fuss to much. It is a very nice piece of software. Like I said, it definitely gets the job done.

I was just asking for anyone else's opinion. It's one of those things where your blown away, then down the road you discover something and are like "wait... where have YOU been".

I have seem some really simple stuff using web links, but I am sure big companies pay a lot of money for that type of software, but you never know.

I will be using this in the meantime. I will also keep my eye's peeled. I have been doing so much IT between work and friends, I am considering buying some commercial software if I get serious about turning it into a business and get the money needed to implement all the tools I would need. So I have to be on the hunt for the best.

Again thanks, it is a very nice tool that I never knew about thats for sure. Others feel free to post if you still run across anything.

TRENDING THREADS