Hi everyone...I'm looking to upgrade the power supply and graphics card on this PC. I realize that it's a pretty ancient PC at this point, but it still works and I only use it to play World of Warcraft. I've searched the Internet far & wide for about the last 3 hours and have seen several posts asking the same question as mine, but the answers seem to go beyond what I really need.
All I know right now is that I need a new power supply around 500 watts and as far as graphics cards, I'm still lost. My budget is about $200, and no, a new PC or building my own isn't in the cards right now.
I just want to eliminate the face-melting lag I get in raiding...I already play the game on the lowest possible settings with only a couple of add-ons.
Here's a list of the computers out of the box specs.
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit) with SP1
• 640GB 7200rpm Serial ATA II/300 hard drive with 16MB Cache
• AMD Phenom X4 9100e 64-bit Quad-Core Processor (1.80GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) with AMD64 Technology
• Integrated ATI Radeon HD 3200 Hybrid Graphics with up to 256MB of Shared Video Memory
• 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules), expandable up to 8GB
• AMD 780G Chipset
• 1 – PCI-E x16, 1 – PCI-Ex1 and 1 – PCI Available Expansion Slots
• 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash Technology
• Gateway 15-in-1 media card reader with copy button
• 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
• 2 IEEE 1394a Ports(1 Front, 1 Rear)
• 1 HDMI and 1 VGA video port
• 2 PS2 Ports
• 56k ITU v.92 Ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
• 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
• Premium Multimedia Keyboard
• 2-Button USB Optical Wheel Mouse
• Amplified USB Powered Stereo Speakers
• 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
• Dimensions (H x W x D): 16.34” x 7.09” x 17.32” (415mm x 180mm x 440mm)
• 300W Power Supply
See, first thing, is that the 500W PSU must be of a credible brand. You can't go to BestBuy and buy a power supply off the bat (usually they have crappy PSUs, but I did pick up a nicer Thermlatake unit there) as BestBuy's power supplies are usually overpriced and underrated.
This is one of the best powersupplies for the money:
Secondly, that Phenom is running rather slow, yet it is a quad core nevertheless.
I would highly recommend a Radeon 5670 BUT WAIT. With a 5670 (or 6670, same card), you would not need to upgrade the power supply, since they do not use much power and also do not require an external power connector. One of these cards will run you about $70 or so.
However If you don't want to upgrade the CPU, the maximum graphics card your Processor will take is probably the AMD radeon 6670 which cost below $100, and your Power supply will run it I guess. But still I would buy a new PSU so you don't have to worry about upgrading the Power supply when we want a big upgrade here is a good PSU for $70: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...