[New Build] Need advice. First time build. $2000 budget.

inhuman5000

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hello. This will be my first build from the ground up. I've had pre build desktops before and I have swapped out hardware (gpu's, ram, psu's, etc), but besides few hardware swaps im a noob.
I have most the hardware picked out. Done some research on these parts. Want to spend around $2000 more besides the stuff i already bought. Willing to go over $2000 if its worth it.
Please give me your advice on the build i have in mind.

- Approximate Purchase Date: Soon on everything but the GPU. I want to wait for is the graphics card. Im waiting on the GTX 680 release.

- Budget Range: $2000

- System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Graphics (photoshop CS5), some video editing, office, and net browsing.

- Parts Not Required: CPU, HHD, Keyboard, Mouse, External Speakers, GPU (because im waiting on the gtx 600 series)

- Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon, tiger direct

- Parts Preferences: anything that is reliable and good quiality. With great performance.

- Overclocking: Maybe, but not much

- SLI or Crossfire: Yes. after i buy my gpu i may wait a while till i get another.

- Monitor Resolution: 1080p led

- Additional Comments: want a solid build with quality parts that will last me a few years. Top notch performance. Clean looking. Dont want to go full tower. will use a dual graphics cards in the future if need be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already have : i7 2700k, Hitachi 2tb hhd 7200 rpm 64mb cache sata 3, logitech g700 mouse, logitech g110 keyboard, and logitech z523 speakers.

These are the parts I have in mind...

- asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 motherboard
- corsair obsidian 650d case (will also order the mesh side panel for $15 from corsair. Gives the case side cooling.
- corsair 16 gb vengeance 1600 ram
- liteOn ihbs212-08 bluray writer
- corsair h100
- not sure what PSU to buy... corsair hx1050? AX1200?

was also planing on getting a 60gb ssd for windows and another 60gb ssd for the motherboard cache feature that z68's have.
Looking for SSD's with 500+ write and read speeds.

Any help or opinions will help. Thanks

Solution
I would get a good air cooler instead of the H100. Just how cool does your cpu really need to be for a good OC?
Air coolers are cheaper, quieter, and cool well. A $30 air cooler will do the job, but $60-$80 gets you a beast from noctua or prolimatech.

The Z68 cache is interesting, but I don't think it is great without a specialized environment.
If you go that route, look into the intel 311 slc series built for the job. They are expensive.
Best to research that capability thoroughly to see if it will be of benefit to you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167062

Better yet, just get a larger conventional ssd for both the os and the more important apps or data.
Do not be seduced by glowing synthetic...
I would get a good air cooler instead of the H100. Just how cool does your cpu really need to be for a good OC?
Air coolers are cheaper, quieter, and cool well. A $30 air cooler will do the job, but $60-$80 gets you a beast from noctua or prolimatech.

The Z68 cache is interesting, but I don't think it is great without a specialized environment.
If you go that route, look into the intel 311 slc series built for the job. They are expensive.
Best to research that capability thoroughly to see if it will be of benefit to you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167062

Better yet, just get a larger conventional ssd for both the os and the more important apps or data.
Do not be seduced by glowing synthetic benchmarks. They bear little resemblance to what we normally do.
Most current SSD's will perform about the same in normal work.
Today, I wouuld pay a bit more for intel or samsung.

The new 28nm graphics cards will use less power. The 7970 only requires a 500w psu.
I would expect kepler like 680 to be similar.

If you will be gaming on a single monitor, then sli will be overkill, GTX680 and a psu of 650-750w should be plenty.
If you ever should need more, there will be dual chip variants to the GTX680 and 7970 which should run on the same psu.
Just sell the old card and replace with the new.

Keep some of your budget in reserve for future updates. Spending all of it now will bring smaller returns for your dollar.

Solution

inhuman5000

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I'm going to look into the air coolers you pointed out.
Intel 311 drives are interesting but a bit pricey and for 20gb only. the higher capacity ones are real expensive. Was thinking of corsair force gt or a mushkin. I will look into the samsungs though.
Also about the psu...if i get say an 850 power supply, will that be enough for a gtx 690 or a single 680 plus multiple hard dives and everything else in my build? I was under the understanding that getting more power is good for future upgrades.

EzioAs

Distinguished
850W is enough for two high end cards(5870 in crossfire) and multiple hard drives(1 SSD and 4 HDD), overclocked 1366 cpu and even an LCS cooling. I can't say for sure how much power the 680 or 690 is going to consume since it isn't out yet but if you look back on some older cards which are not that much efficient, it is more than enough. As long as it's a quality psu though such as the HX850

I think there is a current guideline that no graphics card should draw more that 300w max. All other parts of a PC are relatively insignificant, needing only 250w or so.
By that calculation, 850w for two cards and the rest, should do it, and will probably still be more than you need.

The Noctua NH-D14 is as good as it gets. Noctua fans are superb:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

Really, though, a cm hyper212 or Xigmatek gaia for $30 will do the job.

inhuman5000

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
850W is enough for two high end cards(5870 in crossfire) and multiple hard drives(1 SSD and 4 HDD), overclocked 1366 cpu and even an LCS cooling. I can't say for sure how much power the 680 or 690 is going to consume since it isn't out yet but if you look back on some older cards which are not that much efficient, it is more than enough. As long as it's a quality psu though such as the HX850

Like the AX850. Just curious though, will that handle 2 680.s? I know it's over kill for what I'm trying to do because i won't use 2 monitors.
But i will most likely have multiple ssd's and one hhd.

I think there is a current guideline that no graphics card should draw more that 300w max. All other parts of a PC are relatively insignificant, needing only 250w or so.
By that calculation, 850w for two cards and the rest, should do it, and will probably still be more than you need.

The Noctua NH-D14 is as good as it gets. Noctua fans are superb:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835608018

Really, though, a cm hyper212 or Xigmatek gaia for $30 will do the job.

Yeah im probably going to get an 80 + gold PSU (AX850), and most are saying good things about the NOCTUA. I thought the H100 was good lol. I think you guys have convinced me to get a Noctua, CM, or xigmatec for cooling.

EzioAs

Distinguished
Yes, I too prefer on high-end air coolers rather than pre-filled liquid cooler. The D14 is really good(a personal favorite) and it's just as good as the H100.

AsI said before, I don't know the power usage of the 680 since it's not out yet, but I'm sure it'll work just fine. I don't see the difference between the HX and the AX besides the efficiency, but it's up to you

EzioAs

Distinguished
I prefer the 600T because of the looks and mesh on almost all sides. But mostly, it's because of the looks. The 650D is also a great case. Any case among those is really good btw since you've got good ventilation and good cable management.

900W is the recommended for the 580s, so how would 2 680s be 150W less power? There's not even that big of a power consumption between the 6950 and 7950 or the 480 and 580. I am positive that no way will 2 680s consume less power than 2 7970s, so 2 680s can't make a 150W power consumption save from two 580s.

EzioAs

Distinguished
When a system actually pulls around 700W from the wall, the converted power in DC is actually lower so a 750W is more for that build. Although for that build and maybe 2 680s later, 850W is the best choice and with plenty of headroom for the psu to degrade in the future. While you do need to overkill your psu a bit, don't overkill too much and waste more money

inhuman5000

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
ok Ill go with the AX850. Thanks.

Sounds crazy but I want to use a 60 gb SSD for the OS 60 gb ssd for the cache, and get a 120 ssd for my programs and games. Lastly ill use the 2tb HHD for pictures , videos and files.

Is this too much? I think that setup will work fine with me if you guys see no issues with my build. (Power issues, connection issues, etc)

EzioAs

Distinguished

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
the budget u mentioned does it include 680 if yes then

i have few sugestion

psu - guys were debating about psu but no one calculated

asume that u are going to put 2 580 then each will 244w at max which never reach. Its around 215w. So 2 cards oced will eat 500w and ur oced system will around 250w that is 750w

assume that a 850w 80+ gold with 85 percent efficiency will give 722.5w and i didnt calculate capacitor:O.

So u will a 1000w psu.
The fact is corsair and xfxs oem is seasonic . Thats y corsair sell psu very costly.

Example: corsair hx 1050w psu mrp is 230 usd and seasonic x 1050w 80+ gold cost 220 usd

u can also get seasonic 870w 80+ platinum cost 220 but is not worth it.

Psu cost - 220 usd