Question about kWh and PSU

csilva

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am moving in to my first apartment pretty soon and I am a little concerned about the whole electrcity bill thing. I currently have the following:

Intel i7 2700k
8GB GSkill 1600 DDR3
nVidia GeForce 560
ASUS P8P67 Pro mobo
CoolerMaster Hyper 212
500GB SATA HDD
DVD Combo ODD

All powered by Corsair AX650 80 Plus Gold in a Corsair 650D tower

According to NewEgg....this machine needs 433W if I remember correctly...but as I said....I'm using 650W PSU.

I am just kinda concerned about how much power this machine will ACTUALLY be pulling while it's on. Mainly....does it always pull that much power? How much power should I expect to be pulling during idle, gaming, or just browsing? Is there an kind of software or hardware out there that I can get to tell me approximately how much I'm using at any given time?

As far as usage habits, I have my computer on an average of 10 hours a day but I am not always gaming of course. Most of the time, I'm watching online video, browsing, and things like that. I haven't gotten a quote from an energy company yet because I don't move in until August....but I was just kinda curious about this. Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Given an absolute worst case scenario of both the CPU AND GPU running at 100%, you should be pulling somewhere in the neighborhood 500W or a little more, possibly, from the wall.

You won't be doing that much (if ever), I would assume, so general usage wattage would be 250W or less, I imagine.
Given an absolute worst case scenario of both the CPU AND GPU running at 100%, you should be pulling somewhere in the neighborhood 500W or a little more, possibly, from the wall.

You won't be doing that much (if ever), I would assume, so general usage wattage would be 250W or less, I imagine.

Solution
Let's take a system with peak GFX card output from two overclocked GTX 670 DCI TOP
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-670-directcu-ii-top-review/8

Power Consumption with one card = 293 watts
2nd Card = 161 watts

Total = 454 watts

454 watts x 30 hours per week x 4.3 weeks per month x $0.10 per Kw-hr / 1000 watts per kw/hr = $5.86 per month bill

And that's full tilt all the time

With system at idle we are looking at 141 watts + 10 watts +10 watts = 161 watts or 35% of that or $2.00 a month

That only factors in the GPU being at full power though, not the CPU as well. It would still be <500W though, it seems, and BOTH being at 100% at the same time is VERY rare, I know (never happens unless stress testing both).

I was working in ~80% efficiency in there as well, though.

Still, I stand by my general usage wattage being <250W (probably closer to 200W), just not 161W either, since it won't be at true idle.