Is this voltage too high??

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi Friends!

I have set my Easytune 6 to default for my Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, and Turbo Boost is running my i5 3570k at a pretty steady 1.368 volts, and as high as 1.380. Isn't that awfully high? Judging by Easytune, the temps are ok. The CPU is usually under 30c and never goes over 50, my PCH stays right around 50c, and the system temp stays around 25c. Do you think it chooses that higher voltage because the cpu is staying fairly cool? Mind you I don't know how accurate Easytune is for ready temps, but i imagine it's not off by much. I hate to use Easytune to control the voltage, because then I have a problem with the system double booting every time I turn my system on because the bios is apparently checking the overclock specs when i use Easytune to do the overclocking instead of letting Turbo Boost. But I will put up with that, or maybe try to control that in the bios, if it means saving my CPU from getting fried.

What do you think? Do I have a problem at that voltage?

Solution
Wow, strange readings abound. Well, VID is what the CPU is asking for, but the actual voltage seems to be much higher in this case. That takes us back to my point about Auto OC's overshooting what voltage it thinks the CPU needs... Just set everything back to default and OC manually. You should be able to go pretty far on just stock voltage.

Those load temps (especially 84C) is more along the lines of what I would expect for that voltage, although it's still a bit cooler than I've seen even at STOCK voltage.
1.368V is pretty high for a Sandy CPU, much less Ivy. I'm honestly surprised that it's that cool at that voltage. Try checking your load temps with HWMonitor, Core Temp or RealTemp with a program like Prime 95. That'll tell you if you have a real problem (I suspect you do).

You REALLY should just OC manually. Auto OC's almost always overshoot the voltage.

Also, what OC is it giving you?

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

thanks for replying! it is giving me between 4.1 and 4.4 ghz. it jumps around quite a bit.

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

The VID in Core Temp hasn't gone above 1.236, and it stays at 1.06 in Hardware Monitor. The highest temp of any core in both programs is 53c. So are those more reliable than Easytune, would you say?

Absolutely. That sounds MUCH more like what I would expect to see from an Ivy CPU. Not sure what's going on with EasyTune there, but just check CPU-Z too, to be sure.

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

That program shows it going back and forth between 1.308 and 1.320, which is funny since HM is from the same company and it is now reading 1.07. Weird eh?

No core has gone above 73c during this stress test in prime95. 13 minutes now. my cooler fan is running over 2100 rpm.

Wow, strange readings abound. Well, VID is what the CPU is asking for, but the actual voltage seems to be much higher in this case. That takes us back to my point about Auto OC's overshooting what voltage it thinks the CPU needs... Just set everything back to default and OC manually. You should be able to go pretty far on just stock voltage.

Those load temps (especially 84C) is more along the lines of what I would expect for that voltage, although it's still a bit cooler than I've seen even at STOCK voltage.

Solution

musicbreath

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Ok will do. I hope i can figure it out. I'm new at overclocking. 84 is still the highest temp. I'm pretty happy about that. Over 50 minutes of 100% load -- something i would never do in a real world use. I guess i did a good job of installing the cooler. I was afraid i messed that up and over-tightened the screws and such.

Thanks so much for your help! You're a great guy/gal, DJDeCiBeL! :D :love:

P.S. I was able to play a flash game pretty smoothly, and was listening to music in iTunes the whole time I was testing with only the slightest hint of a click or a pop. My old build would've exploded and burned the house down with all of that going on. lol I really love this new setup. I'm not even sure I will add a video card or sound card. :bounce:

Guy, lol, and you're very welcome! :)