Opinion & Advice on $1,500 system. 1st time gaming build

Hello All,

This is my first time building a gaming PC and I needed some advice on the following gaming rig. Opinions and advice is welcome!

Approximate Purchase Date: This week (March 5 - 10th of 2012)

Budget Range: 1,500 USD to 2,000 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING (hardcore max resolution 1920x1080 on 2 monitors) , movies and the occasional TV series

Country: Thailand - but am a Canadian living here so prices are different

Parts Preferences: Cooler Master & ASUS

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 2 SAMSUNG LED 350 series at a resolution of 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Also, is it worth the wait for Nvida Kepler? I mean its just around the corner and i am too anxious to wait for it! Also, is it also worth the wait for Intel Ivy? I have heard that PCI 3.0 is overrated and you would not be needing it for a long time.

Ma inboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3

RAM: G-SKILL = DDR3 RAM 8GB (4GBX2) PC3-12800 (1600Mhz) F3-12800CL8D-8GBRM ฿2,470.00 ฿2,500.00

Optical Drive: LG =Internal DVD-RW GH24NS 24X Buffer 2MB SATA.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 or i7-2600

GPU: ASUS 7950 3 gig

PSU: Cooler Master = SILENT PRO M2 720W

HDD: SSD Intel 80GB SATA 2.5 (Already have a 500 gig HD from my previous desktop)

PC Case: Cooler Master = Enforcer

Monitor: LED Monitor 23inch S23A350B 1920x1080 Widescreen (2 monitors)

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
10 answers Last reply
More about opinion advice system time gaming build
  1. Noone knows whether Kepler or Ivy Bridge are going to be worth the wait until they actually get here. I do know however, IB has been pushed back until June.

Your build looks good but you only really need 500W+ for the PSU and I would definitely go for the i5 over the i7. You will see almost no benefit in upgrading to the i7 for gaming.
  2. If you are planning on overclocking in the future you will want the i5-2500k over the i5-2500. It is $20 more but it is more than worth it.
  3. Great build!
  4. jmsellars1 said:
    Noone knows whether Kepler or Ivy Bridge are going to be worth the wait until they actually get here. I do know however, IB has been pushed back until June.

are you sure about IB being pushed back untill June ? could you share the source or whatsoever please? thanks
  5. whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love the build btw , go for it!
  6. If you have to have it, get it now, otherwise wait for IB.
  7. No, don't wait for IB. It is not worth wasting your time waiting for 4 months. Buy what you need now and update BIOS when IB comes out and then buy the CPU.
  8. azeem40 said:
    No, don't wait for IB. It is not worth wasting your time waiting for 4 months. Buy what you need now and update BIOS when IB comes out and then buy the CPU.

If you plan on doing this I wouldn't buy anything too expensive now, G620 or i3-2100 perhaps.
  9. I agree with above. If you really want IB, get the parts now and upgrade later.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems