Help with new laptop upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Hello,
So I don't know of this is the right place to post this but I couldn't find another one related to this. Sorry if it is the wrong place.
I have been wanting to buy a MacBook pro, and today I was wondering, if I buy the stock model without more ram or different hdd, would it be better if I upgrade it myself? Would it be cheaper? If so, what brand of ram and hdd do you recommend?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate all of the help.

Solution
The G73sw is slightly slower than the NH71, but does have a 1 TB HDD.

Keep in mind the G73sw is a massive laptop meant to be a desktop replacement. The NH71 is smaller and lighter with better specs all around (aside from the HDD being 500 GB instead of 1 TB). Still you, can always upgrade the HDD later. Personally, I would go for the NH71.

Edit: Oh, and the G73sw does have a blu-ray disk player, but do you really need one of those?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
If you want cheaper, get a regular laptop. More performance for less the cost of a mac. However, if you are dead set on getting a MacBook Pro, then get it with the least amount of RAM. You can always upgrade the RAM to the maximum that it will allow. As for HDD, yes you can upgrade that too. However, I'm not sure if prices are cheap enough on retail side to the point where you can save money on a HDD do-it-yourself upgrade since HDD prices are still high from all the flooding in Thailand last year.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
You have your choices of Dell, Asus, MSI, HP, etc etc etc

I like Asus myself. Performance for price is pretty nice. However, you'll want to install a clean version of windows to rid the bloatware (but that is the same for basically any pre-built computer).

Question though, what exactly do you want to do with your laptop? Photoshop, video rendering, video editing, etc?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
The G73sw is slightly slower than the NH71, but does have a 1 TB HDD.

Keep in mind the G73sw is a massive laptop meant to be a desktop replacement. The NH71 is smaller and lighter with better specs all around (aside from the HDD being 500 GB instead of 1 TB). Still you, can always upgrade the HDD later. Personally, I would go for the NH71.

Edit: Oh, and the G73sw does have a blu-ray disk player, but do you really need one of those?

Solution

yogi6994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
True I could just upgrade the hdd later, and it is a lot more portable. And I don't really need blu-ray so I might go with the NH71. How reliable and durable are asus laptops? I want something that will last me a while.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
That I cannot answer, but they seem pretty sturdy. With proper care I'm sure they would last a long while. My ex has an Asus, and she hasn't had any issues with it for sometime. Plenty of people have told me the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.