Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Opinions on i3 budget gaming build, please?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 5, 2012 12:40:45 AM

sapphire radeon 6870
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

lite on dvd burner

logitech wireless mouse/keyboard

asus 21.5 lcd monitor w/ speakers
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

g skill ns 4gb 2x2 memory
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

seagate barracuda 500gb
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

rosewill blackbone case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

corsair builder series cx430 v2
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

i3-2120
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

asrock h61m-vs
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

total = 781.40


not interested in overclocking or anything. just looking to build a basic gaming rig for starcraft2 / diablo3.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
March 5, 2012 1:06:09 AM

Do not get an H61 for a desktop system - it's severly limited to what it can do and the limited expansion options will be frustrating in the long run. If you're going cheap for a motherboard get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And a 430W PSU won't cut it for a 6870 - you need at minimum 500W, 600W to be future-proof. Get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You should also upgrade your RAM - get this for your RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 5, 2012 1:19:47 AM

Hi, nice build. hd6870 seems in sweet spot now.

"a 430W PSU won't cut it for a 6870 " No, it's fine, you have a ton of power. HD6870 TDP is 150 watts, the i3-2120 TDP is 65 watts, even granting 50 watts for various MB and disk and... you are not close to 430 watts. Even with OC.

4GB is fine for today, but you might want to expand memory later. However your MB has only 2 memory slots. So I'd go with two $20 4GB dimms just to not throw away memory later. Aside, the bankruptcy of the Elpida company, makers of memory, may bump memory prices soon so don't wait on the memory. Memory is really cheap now.

Shame you don't have a disk drive you can use vs. pay $100 for 500GB. The disk market should recover from Thailand flooding in 6 months and we can go back to WD Black 1.5TB drives for $90 like we were a year ago.

Related resources
March 5, 2012 2:38:39 AM

That's a really nice build. The CX430 will run a HD6870 no problems.

The only change I could recommend is getting a single 4GB stick now so that you can put another in when you need it, since your motherboard only has 2 available slots. Check out Amazon, they have a HyperX 4GB stick going for just $17.
March 5, 2012 2:52:39 AM

tsnor said:
Hi, nice build. hd6870 seems in sweet spot now.

"a 430W PSU won't cut it for a 6870 " No, it's fine, you have a ton of power. HD6870 TDP is 150 watts, the i3-2120 TDP is 65 watts, even granting 50 watts for various MB and disk and... you are not close to 430 watts. Even with OC.

4GB is fine for today, but you might want to expand memory later. However your MB has only 2 memory slots. So I'd go with two $20 4GB dimms just to not throw away memory later. Aside, the bankruptcy of the Elpida company, makers of memory, may bump memory prices soon so don't wait on the memory. Memory is really cheap now.

Shame you don't have a disk drive you can use vs. pay $100 for 500GB. The disk market should recover from Thailand flooding in 6 months and we can go back to WD Black 1.5TB drives for $90 like we were a year ago.


Unless I'm wrong - the specs on Sapphire's website say that a 500W is required: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

I'd get 8 just to be on the safe side, but I'd totally avoid mATX and H61 because future expansion will be incredibly frustrated. Get this for the motherboard instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 5, 2012 3:55:24 AM

How About:

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

rosewill blackbone case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6811147023

seagate barracuda 500gb
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6822148767

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Total = 828

now that is a future proof system.





March 5, 2012 4:19:04 AM

Peettreedish said:
How About:

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

rosewill blackbone case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6811147023

seagate barracuda 500gb
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6822148767

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Total = 828

now that is a future proof system.


No it isn't - AM3 is pretty much a dead end. The next generation of AMD CPUs is going to use a completely new socket and motherboard design, where the forthcoming (if ever... :lol:  ) Ivy Bridge CPUs are going to use the existing LGA 1155 socket. H67 / P67 / Z68 will be far more future proof than any AM3+ build.

Good selections for the most part, but AM3 is not future proof by any stretch of the imagination.
March 5, 2012 4:25:09 AM

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode). Straight from AMD's website. Also, AMD is pretty much at its last mark as far as CPUs go. At every price point, no matter how much fanboys hate to admit it, they are beaten by even a lesser Intel CPU.
March 5, 2012 4:30:44 AM

azeem40 said:
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode). Straight from AMD's website. Also, AMD is pretty much at its last mark as far as CPUs go. At every price point, no matter how much fanboys hate to admit it, they are beaten by even a lesser Intel CPU.


I'm no AMD fanboy by any means but when I saw that the $70 Pentium G620 outperforms the $250 FX-8120 my mind was totally blown by that.
March 5, 2012 4:34:26 AM

I can honestly say I am an intel fanboy, but it is rightly so. :p 
March 5, 2012 4:44:52 AM

The point of that hardware list was to give options, That was a decent budget minded build that allowed for future upgrades like going to an am3+ cpu when money allowed.

Personally I wouldn't even use asrock, I would go with an Asus or Gigabyte.

But also keep in mind, the original poster sounded a little unsure of his intentions for this system. But yet as with just about every other post on this site people just assume they are going to overclock. He just wants a cheap gaming system, and going straight to Intel isn't really the best choice for the budget minded.
March 5, 2012 4:51:45 AM

Seems you haven't seen the recent reviews of the intel vs amd processors. At every price point, there is something that beats it hands down. Like your cpu you suggested; the i3-2120 beats it hands down.
March 6, 2012 4:35:42 AM

azeem40 said:
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode). Straight from AMD's website. Also, AMD is pretty much at its last mark as far as CPUs go. At every price point, no matter how much fanboys hate to admit it, they are beaten by even a lesser Intel CPU.



You are absolutely correct that AMD and NVIDIA both specify PSUs much bigger than the sum of the TDPs of the components. I personally think that this is because some people buy cheap off-brand 500 watt PSUs that blow up under 300 watt loads so AMD and nvidia just say 'heck with it, lets spec a 500 watt psu' when they only need a 400 watt or less unit. Note adding an entire second card for crossfire only raises the PSU rating by 100 watts when the second card pulls 150. See that the single card system rating might be inflated ?

Here is a typical total system load on a 6870. 300 watts at the wall under FURMARK the highest graphic card load around. Assuming a 80% efficient power supply that's only a 240 watt load.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-685...

Doesn't look like you need a 500 watt PSU to me. (Typed on my I7-920 with GTX260 1.8 OC running on 460 watt PSU. GTX 260 has a 182W TDP, i7-920 has a 125 watt TDP, the x58 MB is notorious for high power draw, yet the total measured on my APC UPS is rarely above 300 measured at the wall plug including my 24" monitor.)
March 6, 2012 5:04:00 AM

Peettreedish said:
The point of that hardware list was to give options, That was a decent budget minded build that allowed for future upgrades like going to an am3+ cpu when money allowed.

Personally I wouldn't even use asrock, I would go with an Asus or Gigabyte.

But also keep in mind, the original poster sounded a little unsure of his intentions for this system. But yet as with just about every other post on this site people just assume they are going to overclock. He just wants a cheap gaming system, and going straight to Intel isn't really the best choice for the budget minded.


That's true to a certain extent, but even the $70 Pentium G620 blows away the $250 FX-8150.

As far as Asrock goes I only recommend them on $850 or less builds, higher end builds I recommend the Gigabyte UD3H.
!