Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
have the following

Win7
AMD Phenom II X4 925
8GB Ram
FOXCONN 2AB1 Mobo
GTX580

I think for the games I play the CPU is maxing out before the graphics card. Can I upgrade just the MB or CPU or would I need to do both? Any suggestions on specific products?

THanks!

blink180

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2012
you really don't need a new cpu.. your motherboard might be cheap so if anything get an am3+ mobo with a zambezi cpu and you are in the clear for core i7 920 performance...

opteron1983

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

I agree with yourself and xtreme5 your CPU is most likely the bottleneck on your system. You could probably swap out your processor for any of the Phenom II X4 955/965/970/975/980 black edition or the Phenom II X6 1065/1055/1045/1035.

Unfortunately the Phenom II X6 1075/1090/1100 will not work on your current motherboard supports only 95 watt cpus.

Thats most likely going to be your limiting factor : the wattage supplied by your motherboard. A complete spec sheet for the motherboard would help you alot.

Hope this helps

Mobo specs : http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

prine06

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Motherboard
Manufacturer FOXCONN
Model 2AB1 (CPU 1)
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model 785G
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model SB700
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 56 °C
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 6.01
Date 07/02/2010
Voltage
+5V 5.019 V
CPU CORE 2.220 V
VIN3 1.656 V
VIN4 2.220 V
+3.3V 2.773 V
VIN6 2.220 V
VIN7 1.644 V
VIN8 1.620 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCI-E x16
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation MINI PCI-E x1
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCI-E x1
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Number 3
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Number 4

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
wait hold on here..... That processor is not a bottle neck. To be honest there is nothing wrong with your setup (from what i can see) apart from the motherboard being a little weedy.
If you want to throw money at your system then you could upgrade the motherboard and CPU but to be honest i would save your money and get a whole new system when the time is right.
A quad core phenom II system with a GTX580 is a great system for gaming.

I would suggest if you're going the Phenom II 980 and mobo upgrade route, to just buy a 965, they're a little cheaper, and it should overclock just as well as the more expensive 980, as they're the same stepping revision.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Budget-minded but decent motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

I'd also ask what kind of power supply you have, make and model, as I'm guessing this Foxconn board is part of a pre-built package.

prine06

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Yeah was researching that, money-wise I was thinking the 965 was a smarter choice. And going the OC route with a new MB too.

Question: Ive never replace a mobo/cpu, Can I take a image of my current system, assuming im going the 965 route, and drop it on the new mobo/cpu?

My advice would be to watch some guide videos to get an idea how its done, but taking pictures can help you for guidance purposes.

Like I said, I'd really like to know what power supply you have. You didn't answer my assumption, but I have a WAG (wild ass guess) that this is an HP pre-buit. The power supply may need an upgrade if you haven't already done so, also I cannot guarantee that if it is a Prebuilt that a motherboard swap will be possible and/or painless, as I don't know whether or not HP has any fancy annoying proprietary setups like Dell is famous for.

Barring any kind of proprietary case designs, installation is fairly straightforward, all you have to do is take your time with everything. You may consider upgrading your CPU cooler, as you're not really going to be able to go past 3.6-3.7GHZ with the stock one. A CoolerMaster 212 Evo is a very decent choice, or cheaper a Hyper N520 such as I have. Although check your case dimensions, a bigger cooler may not fit and you may need something low profile like a CM Gemini.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OVyni17uF8

Hmm.. Well, I looked up the model number and it gave me a Core2Quad system with a microATX board and the Foxconn board you have now is a microATX, so I'm going to go with it should work, but only if you were to get a microATX AM3+ board, or consider getting a new case, you can get decent ones for less than 60. A better case would be a really good idea for a GTX 580 anyway, mind you.

I really don't like any of the AM3+ offerings in the MicroATX form factor, but something like this would work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157292

Or go with the board I suggested and upgrade your case and do a system transplant..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227

prine06

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Im going with the 965 and a Mobo upgrade, overclocking will give me plenty of power.

Understood, as mentioned, we're discussing a mobo and CPU upgrade, theres no way I'd advise anyone to overclock on a foxconn stock HP mobo lol.

You're welcome.

There are a couple concerns yes. Depending on how good the airflow is, the case may not have been made with the idea of putting a GTX 580 in it, the card may run hotter than it needs to. Also, there is a chance a board will not fit, as it may or may not be designed to accept only proprietary motherboards. Also, the case will only take a microATX board I believe, like I said, I'm not too thrilled with the AM3+ mATX choices that I found while searching. They're all older chipsets or overpriced for modern chipsets.

If you're getting a new mobo anyway, Intel is the better choice; and this comes from someone who has built more AMD than Intel rigs in the last few years. Recent articles and benchmarks (many right here) have clearly shown that there is no longer any price point at which Intel does not out-perform AMD in games.