trol-k

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Hello Guys,

I would like to ask for some advice for my current desktop.

Just a little info, I would like to get back into competitive fps gaming and was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on my current rig and if or should I require to upgrade it for better experience.

1.I am thinking of a new monitor as the one I currently have has been with me for 5 years.
Its a Viewsonic VG2030WM screen with built in speakers (have never used the speakers). I was wondering if I should upgrade to a 24 inch Asus or Samsung or Viewsonic monitor (please state your prefer brand with reasons)

2. My current Gpu is a HD 5850 Gigabyte I believe. Had it for 2 years and have been great, but I might be thinking of getting Cross Fire in future or something more powerful. I'm not entirely sure if I need an upgrade so please explain if I should or not, this is entirely optional, don't really need it.

3. Finally, I was thinking if I should change my case now or in 3 years time when I might buy a new gaming desktop. I currently have the CM Haf922, has a total of 5 fans, 2x 200mm in front and top, 2x 120mm 2000rpm side and 140mm back. My temperature for cpu and gpu when playing for eg BF3 is avg 55 (lower on cold days, atm it's summer)

I would like to upgrade to a Haf942 or Haf X, or maybe something which dust filters because my desktop racks up a lot of dusts!

Solution
Honestly, I don't see any problems with your computer at all (unless your cpu is no good). You could upgrade the monitor but that won't help the fps, your gpu is highly sufficient and the case seems quite alright to me.

_zxzxzx_

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Honestly, I don't see any problems with your computer at all (unless your cpu is no good). You could upgrade the monitor but that won't help the fps, your gpu is highly sufficient and the case seems quite alright to me.

Solution

kcsmacker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

How can you tell? What is his computer?

Trol-k
Samsung is a good monitor and Asus and Viewsonic monitors aren't bad either. Just make sure your getting 1080p. You've got a good case - maybe fiddle with the fans a bit if you want.
Can't advise on the rest because we don't know what it is. :(

_zxzxzx_

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Seeing as he is using a HD5850, even with a pentium cpu wouldn't have a bad fps...

trol-k

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply guys.

I have the I7 930 2.8ghz and 12 gb of ddr3 1600mhz of ram.

@kcsmacker I got the VS248H and I was having issues with the text being blurry as well when I was watching movies, the frame rate was higher than my viewsonic, but I could see pixels everywhere. I did try to look around on forums and google to find solution, but after a day I gave up and returned it and got a 24 inch samsung. Btw Samsung's are freaking awesome. no issues what so ever.

It seems that you guys reckon the 5850 is fine, I will keep it for another year or two depends how demanding the games are in a few years before changing graphics cards. If its more than 2 years, might wait a few more before I build a new gaming system.

Once again, thank you for replying to my thread.