DVI-I Dual Link NEED HELP!!

ordz

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I have a problem.. I bought a DVI-I Dual Link, my graphics card needs DVI-I but my monitor needs DVI-D. should I cut the 4pins so it will be DVI-I to DVI-D? is it possible??

ordz

Honorable
May 30, 2012

ohh I see.. what do you suggest me buying a DVI-I to DVI-D converter or DVI-I to DVI-D cable?

larkspur

Distinguished
Assuming your monitor wants a single-link DVI-D then all you need is a single-link DVI-D male to DVI-D male (they are standard monitor cables found everywhere). Make sure your monitor doesn't require dual-link DVI (if it is a 120hz monitor and/or more than 1080p resolution then it should).

DVI-I just means that the port carries both the digital (D) and the analog (VGA) signals. Your monitor doesn't care about the analog signal, it just uses the digital part. Like said above, a single-link DVI-D cable plugs right into a DVI-I port.

ordz

Honorable
May 30, 2012

so.. I will buy a DVI-D to DVI-D? but my graphics card needs DVI-I is it okay? but my monitor is DVI-D

Your graphics card doesn't "need" DVI-I. Dual link DVI-I can be fanned out to dual and single link DVI-I, dual and single link DVI-D, and DVI-A. Most graphics cards feature a dual link DVI-I because it's a universal connector that can be converted into a classic DE15-F VGA connector by tapping the analog parts, or HDMI/DisplayPort by tapping the digital ones.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Connector

ordz

Honorable
May 30, 2012

so that means.. ill buy DVI-D to DVI-D?

yup

Keep in mind that there are both single link, and dual link DVI-I, and DVI-D cables. Single link male connectors can fit into Dual link female ports but not the other way around. Dual link is required for resolutions above 1080p but many monitors employ a dual link connector for compatibility purposes. Take a look at that wiki link to see whether or not your monitor supports a dual link DVI-D cable.