Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Does HD 6670 work on a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2012 12:36:02 PM

I'm looking to get a decent, low power video card for my secondary PC, mainly for games like Magicka, Sims 3 and other casual games. I have Sapphire HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 in mind. But after doing some googling, I found out that some say it needs a PCI-E 2.1 x16 and my motherboard is a 2.0.

Here is my PC specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-MLX
CPU: i3-2100
RAM: 4GB
Crappy/generic 500W PSU.
6 year old 1280x1024 monitor

So will a HD 6670 work on my motherboard with a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot? Otherwise i'd consider getting a HD 5670 instead (which should work on a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot right?) Thanks

Edit: It occurred to me that there might be both 2.0 and 2.1 version of the video card. However the website that i'll be getting it from doesn't state so..

More about : 6670 work pci x16 slot

a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2012 12:48:30 PM

Do not worry, it will and as far as I know it's totally backward compatible. Get the 2.1 version and you are good!

Good Luck and Have a good day :) .
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2012 1:10:32 PM

pcie 2.1 is a minor update of pcie 2.0. most of the motherboards have pcie 2.0 slots and pcie 2.1 cards work perfectly on them.
your sapphire radeon hd 6670 will work on the asus h61 motherboard.
you need to have at least 18A continuous or higher amps on your psu's +12v rail. make sure your psu can supply power to your pc. otherwise you risk systam stability and longevity.
Score
Related resources
January 2, 2012 1:28:58 PM

Thanks for the answers. I'll get them tomorrow. :D 
From what I can tell from the label on the PSU it does have "20A" on the +12V rail. However I'm a little bit skeptical about it. I might change my whole casing + PSU (the casing + PSU came in a bundle) after i save up enough money after buying the video card.

Cheers.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2012 1:36:10 PM

generic psus usually have trouble continuously supplying power to components. they also rate max ratings on the labels. if you've recycled the psu from a previous build, and you've used the psu for quite a while now, the psu components should have aged enough to lose performance. i mean that the psu might not be able to supply 20A as it could have done when it was new. in that case, you should change your psu asap and get a new, 80+ rated, active pfc, with 30-40A on the +12v rail(s) psu. your build is new and it should last longer with a better psu. this is a good place to start.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2012 1:45:05 PM

20A*12V=240W...

Are you sure it's 50W?? Or it's dual 20A?

Yeah, change the PSU+Case Make sure you get decent brands. It should run 6670 anyway...
January 2, 2012 1:58:03 PM

Dang, sorry for the multiple post. Had some minor issue with my internet browser.

refillable said:
20A*12V=240W...

Are you sure it's 50W?? Or it's dual 20A?

Yeah, change the PSU+Case Make sure you get decent brands. It should run 6670 anyway...

I'll post the picture of the label if i can.

de5_Roy said:
generic psus usually have trouble continuously supplying power to components. they also rate max ratings on the labels. if you've recycled the psu from a previous build, and you've used the psu for quite a while now, the psu components should have aged enough to lose performance. i mean that the psu might not be able to supply 20A as it could have done when it was new. in that case, you should change your psu asap and get a new, 80+ rated, active pfc, with 30-40A on the +12v rail(s) psu. your build is new and it should last longer with a better psu. this is a good place to start.

I know generic PSU is terrible, but this PC is meant for basic usage like web surfing and watching videos, and was this PC came in a bundle which meant i couldn't add or change any of the components. This PC is only 2 weeks old, including the PSU.
But since HD 6670 isn't really that power hungry and i don't plan to overclock anything, shouldn't it be okay? But then, i might or might not replace the casing and PSU depending on the situation.
Score
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2012 2:22:28 PM

It should be OK.
Score
January 9, 2012 10:04:03 AM

Best answer selected by hoven.
Score
!