Win98 won't recognize hp usb 8220e

TomK

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2001
I can't get my external hp usb 8220 to work on my Fujitsu laptop running Win98! The Device Manager gives me "Unknown Device" and it won't take the driver off the floppy. I also tried to install the cd-writer on my desktop, but it gives me the same problems. Thanx.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The usb 8220 <font color=red>is</font color=red> the only reason I have Touretts syndrome.
I use a sony usb, and have never had any of the problems I had/have with the hp usb. Hp has swaped it out twice, and it still doesn't work worth a flip. The first time it quit recognizing cd's, and the second it managed to melt a cdrw. Anyway, one of the techs/phone monkeys one told me Revision A works better on laptops and Revision B works better on desktops. I'd put odds on your problem being with the drive, and not your usb hub or mainboard. You might get hp to swap it out, but I expect you to always have problems with that drive. What really gets me is the sony and the hp are the exact same drive, except for an external power source on the hp.

One way or another, swap it out (or beat the UHHHH! out of it with a hammer).