Sign in with
Your question

PSU failure or PSU overtemp?

Last response: in Components
June 20, 2012 2:34:54 PM

My system is about 5 years old now (system specs below). Last March I upgraded the graphics card and switched out the motherboard. I replaced the motherboard because last year the computer kept powering off and refusing to power up for hours. This was a rare occurrence but this combined with the fact that two usb ports and the firewire were dead (I killed them by shorting some pins during the build). So I figured the mobo was finally giving up and replaced it and upgraded the graphics too.

Now suddenly this week any time I put my system under load it either reboots or just powers off (like a switch is thrown) and wont power back up for hours like before. I've also had a few "blue screens of death". I ran HWmonitor while playing ME3 to
see what the system did under load. The CPU was running between 60-63C, which I'm not thrilled with since the fan wasn't at 100% so I need to play with fan speed settings. The GPU was 65C. Other temps in the system ranged from 45-55C. Warm but not terrible (though I'll be tweaking to get them lower).

The one stat that caught my eye was the -12V rail was running at -7.62V. If this is a real value, and not some software glitch, I would think this is a huge problem and a red flag my crappy Ultra X has finally 86'ed itself.

But I could use some help because I'm still a bit of a novice at this and I might be missing that my CPU will crash at 65C or its something else I havn't even considered. Thanks in advance. I've always found the best help here.

Also the PSU I'm thinking of getting is a Corsair tx 650w.

Win7 64bit
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Biostar TP35D2-A7 motherboard
Hitachi 400GB 7200rpm HD
XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB PCI
Corsair TWINX 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 600-Watt
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 (connected to 1980x1080 and 1400x900 monitors)
June 20, 2012 2:36:14 PM

Title should be : PSU Failure or CPU overtemp?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 20, 2012 2:40:07 PM

I think the PSU is the first thing I would replace also. And for heaven's sake, get a reputable brand this time.
m
l
June 20, 2012 4:32:49 PM

Yea I didn't get the best parts on the first build. Slowly trying to fix that. From what I've read Corsair is a good PSU supplier.
m
l
!