Optimal setting for geforce 8400 gs

versus_josh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help with settings on a graphics chip. Theres global then application. First off I have no Idea what all the different settings mean thus Im asking here. :) Specs are dell optiplex 280 , pentium 4 2.8 , 1.5 gigs ram and the nvidia 8400 gs. My girlfriend uses it for facebook gaming and, a 3d game called Toontown. Her original comp is breaking down so to save her hd for the moment until I can clone it I got her this optiplex for $50. Any help with all the graphic settings would be nice thanks. Also its capible of 16x.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
71.jpg

That's the settings i use for my computer, 1.8ghz pentium dual with.. *drumroll*.... integrated nvidia 7100! I even overclock the dam thing :D

Using those settings will probably spare you a couple fps.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
^^ agree
If you change video card setting it's more likely to mess it up, defaults are perfectly fine
Just update video drivers, for the games you mention you can use 8400gs no problems,

versus_josh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Unfortunately I've already repaired her computer. Though I just put the 8400 gs back into it. Like I stated she doesnt do any extreme gaming. So old is quite fine for what she needs... Thanks for the reply and the screenshots. Ill give it a try. Happy New Year :sol:

versus_josh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
It's kind of funny. If people really actually understood the relationship between cpu, ram, Motherboards, buses what not. You would see that it really doesnt matter if you have a quad core pentium i7 or what not $4,000 machine thats liquid cooled. or a dell gx280.. with a 512 mb graphics chip. It's all in your computing needs really. To be honest Im not sure there's any game out there thats worth me spending a bundle of money just to have it not lag 1 frame per second. If your into Stocks and trading and need multiple displays, with realtime to make trade's it's understandable.

versus_josh

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Another quick question I forgot to add before. The (set PhysX configuration) option says under it... Auto ( recommended), GeForce 8400gs , or CPU. I know that's to select what I want the program being ran to run off. Either my graphics or my cpu. Again if I go with what you stated dont tweak it let it go auto but. maybe someone knows if its better to just select Geforce 8400 gs or CPU for all applications?