Sign in with
Your question

Totally lost, replaced CPU and mobo

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2012 3:12:05 PM

Well my pc decided to crap out mid gaming session, and refused to boot, so after some combing the internet, the problem was with either the mobo, psu, or cpu. I had another psu laying around, so pulled mine out, tested, same results. Not wanting to drop 300 on a new cpu and the fact the cpu has gone through 2 mobos and is fine, I bought a new mobo. Installed mobo, now it lights up for a second, but quickly loses power, and still won't boot. Okay, so I buy a new CPU, put it in last night, used original psu, still no boot but still getting the leds for a second, swapped psu and same results. I have a second set of memory I have tested, and I have tested without a gpu. The only way the system will turn on is if I unplug the 4 pin from the cpu. Which is the original issue, after all components have been replaced/tested. Have verified both PSUs work on a totally separate computer. Can anyone help?
a c 886 à CPUs
June 20, 2012 3:56:36 PM

Maybe your replacement motherboard is bad but have you disconnected all extras like HDD's and such, a short on one of those could stop it from posting.
I am of course presuming that the board is correctly mounted on standoffs and nothing is shorting it out.
m
l
June 23, 2012 11:17:23 PM

Was mounted on standoffs, tried base config, still not turning on, tried out of case as well, still no go, pure mystery. Any other advice?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2012 12:26:40 AM

There might also be a problem with the wall socket you are plugging your computer into. Have you tried plugging it into a different wall socket or surge protector?
m
l
June 27, 2012 2:48:51 PM

Tried different socket as well, and a different house just in case. Still tries to power on, then dies in less than a second. Only thing I can think of is the board I just got is bad. But having the exact same problem seems highly unlikely. I"m using a rampage formula, using the start button and my 750 watt PSU, if I button mash the start button on the mobo, everything will power up, but it won't boot. On my 1kw, can't get it to happen.
m
l
!