Any way to improve SLI

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Alright mentlegen, I need some help!

I just recently received my second GTX 460 for use in an SLI setup.
I have SLI enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel, but when I play games to look for visible improvements, the framerates don't seem to be that much better, as I had hoped. I have a few questions:

-Is there any way to improve SLI performance past the Nvidia Control Panel settings?

-What does the SLI visual indicator indicate, usage? efficiency? What?

-Would running two monitors reduce performance?

-I have a game (Crysis, for example) running on my main monitor, and a GPU monitor running on my second monitor, I'm not getting the best frames possible, and it looks like the graphics cards aren't using as much as they should be, for the frames I'm getting. I could be getting 40 frames or so on Crysis and the second card will be running at about 50% usage. Is this normal?

Any information would be helpful!

Thanks,
~Kirk

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
But the cards aren't running at load, so my logic would tell me they should start handling more to make it run smoother.

But then again, I don't know much past your signature in the way of video cards.

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I had it at 4.1GHz, but I was testing an issue with my wireless card that someone suggested, but have been too lazy to throw it back to 4.1

I'll do that now, as long as I'm dinkin' around.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
The GPU2 thingy that pops up in the top right when SLI is turned on is useless. It will say GPU2: 50% when the 2nd GPU isn't doing anything at all. Download MSI afterburner it will show you both cards usage individually, and try a game other than Crysis, parts of that game are heavily CPU dependent and won't let your GPU setup stretch its legs.

And running 2 monitors will definately reduce performance, and if one of those monitors is plugged into the 2nd GPU SLI won't work at all.

KirkR

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Fullscreen.

I also tested Skyrim just now on Ultra, I get 40-60 frames, but I find it odd that when the frames are lower, there's less GPU usage, and vice versa. I mean, I get how that makes sense, but I don't understand why it would do that.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Go to Nvidia control panel. Set SLI and PhysX configuration. Set to Maximize 3D performance. You should see about a 170% to 190% bump in frame rates from a single card. Also, you can overclock GTX 460's quite generously without adding voltage.