Sign in with
Your question

Two Routers

Last response: in Networking
March 22, 2011 5:56:58 PM

Hello,
I have two routers hooked up off a cable modem. One is on the first floor with a Mac & a PC and a network printer. The second is in the basement with Two PC,s running windows 7 Apple TV PS3. They both are accessing the internet fine yet I can't see all computers on either floor what do I need to do? Both routers are netgear?

More about : routers

March 22, 2011 6:16:21 PM

How are they bridged, over wire or wireless? If wire, WAN to LAN, or LAN to LAN?
m
l
March 22, 2011 8:04:07 PM

They are hard wired. As Far as WAN to LAN LAN to Lan that is were I may need my help? I can see both routers from either floor just not sure what to do to get access to all computer between them?
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2011 8:15:07 PM

Hello,

What is the equipment that provides IP addresses?

You must have one (with exceptions)

example:
First switch 192.168.1.10

Second switch 192.168.1.20

(things in comuns: Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
and gateway 192.168.1.1
m
l
March 22, 2011 9:25:38 PM

explorer22 said:
They are hard wired. As Far as WAN to LAN LAN to Lan that is were I may need my help? I can see both routers from either floor just not sure what to do to get access to all computer between them?

Each router has one WAN port (sometimes label differently, might say Internet port, or be a different color, perhaps yellow, often distanced from the other ports as well) and several LAN ports (usually 4 of them, one for each device you intend to connect to the switch).

So you can only be connected from router #1 to router #2 in one of two ways:

[modem](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router #1](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router #2]

or

[modem](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[router #1](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[router #2]

Which is it?
m
l
!