How you clean your system

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hey Guys,

Just wondering how you guys clean your systems for dust and what not? I usually do it with a hoover but i always get scared i'm going to suck something important up. Any other options? What about compressed gas?

Thanks.

I used to have 3 21" ibm crt monitors, and 3 cats. Each had it's own nice warm perch on top.
When I changed to LCD, they still tried to jump up on top, only to fail and scratch the panels :( Result...banishment.

i would highly suggest not using an air compressor. i've heard that it could build up an electrostatic charge. i know for a fact that you could be blowing water vapor or even oil though the air spray. i also know for a fact that if anything is in the line you could be blowing sand, or another gritty compound.

i would also suggest not using a vacuum on the actual parts. it should be okay to use the vacuum on the bottom of the case or to suck out the air when you blow it with a can of compressed air.

the only thing i clean my cases with are cans of compressed and a cloth for the bottom of the case. i suppose you could use a nylon brush on components as well.

no water, no alcohol based cleaners would be suggested.

--

i agree with preventing dust in the first place. use dust filters for your fans.

That sucks... my (3, so embarrassing... never thought i wanted cats) strays wander around randomly. on the hutch. under the desk... mine likes to sit where I can't see the task bar and click the mouse... stand up and follow the cursor... My biggest fear is that one day they'll run across my keyboard and wipe the production server while I am logged in LMFAO