PC Sees LCD Monitor as CRT after Graphics Update

Shempetta

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hi,

Please excuse me if this is in the wrong section. I am a newbie and somewhat confused. :pt1cable:

After I received a system error message re: serious problem with the display driver (most colors just faded off the screen) and a PC game I was playing crashed, I realized something was terribly wrong. I went to the Intel website and updated the following:

Intel82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset

It went smoothly and upon checking my system, it is working properly.

However, after the obligatory reboot my PC no longer recognizes my Acer 22" LCD widescreen monitor. When I bring up Display in Control Panel, it shows a picture of a CRT Analog monitor. It is reading the size as 11" by 18". Most everything on the screen is being displayed as a square instead of the usual widescreen rectangle. My wallpaper is a huge square with two wide black lines on either side. Windows is showing a plug and play analog, standard CRT monitor.

Windows is also indicating two monitors, but perhaps this is because there is another PC on our wireless network which does have an old CRT monitor. In any case, I was wondering if my next step should be reloading the Acer driver (off their website) since it no longer appears on my system. I was also wondering if I should check for any particular updates for XP home sp3 drivers. I really miss my beautiful display!

Sorry if I sound like a simpleton but I am in the learning phase, esp. when I encounter a problem that has never occurred before. Many thanks.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Unplug the monitor when you restart the computer. Then turn the PC off manually. Plug it back in and boot again.
When the computer boots up if it doesn't recognize that it is a LCD and not a CRT try clicking the detect/identify button again.

Otherwise:

Start by uninstalling and reinstalling all your drivers; if it's ATI the easy route is uninstall and when it gives you an option select "Express uninstall all ATI software and drivers"

Had a similar issue once; and it didn't see it as a LCD, but at least it had the right dimensions and resolutions / aspect ratio.

Shempetta

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Thank you so much for your reply.

The first solution worked! It was amazing to see objects in their proper perspective again. Had a "duh" moment as this was so simple and I've done it before with other problems.

I'm just confused as to why a simple upgrade (long overdue) would cause this. But in any case, I can continue to enjoy this monitor until I get my next one (a 27", hopefully).

Again, many thanks and have a happy 2012! Great forums and website. Hours of helpful and interesting info here.

Sharon

G

i'm having the same problem but it didn't worked for me, those stept you said upthere