Sign in with
Your question

DEll and New Hard Drives

Last response: in Components
June 20, 2012 6:09:49 PM

Before I buy this Dell computer which has no hard drive, I was wondering if Dells had an issue with installing a new hard drive with an O/S (XP) already installed on it?

More about : dell hard drives

June 20, 2012 6:17:56 PM

Unfortunatly your question has nothing to do with Dell's specifically. It's a question of differences in hardware between the original computer and your new one. If they are relativly close XP will boot up. If the hardware is generations apart, good chance that XP will blue screen on boot
June 20, 2012 6:27:20 PM

all computers will have a problem with windows installed on a different machine. Install the HDD then install windows.
Related resources
June 20, 2012 6:46:33 PM

Hi :) 

The trick here would be to ONLY buy the Dell machine if you get the recovery discs with it....

All the best Brett :) 
June 20, 2012 10:34:59 PM

anonymous1 said:
all computers will have a problem with windows installed on a different machine. Install the HDD then install windows.

Not true when you know what you are doing... but yes for most people it is easier
June 20, 2012 10:36:01 PM

Brett928S2 said:

The trick here would be to ONLY buy the Dell machine if you get the recovery discs with it....

Useless and not true. No need to get recovery disc in order to install XP (or anyother OS) on a DELL (or any computer)
June 20, 2012 11:01:31 PM

lafontma said:
Useless and not true. No need to get recovery disc in order to install XP (or anyother OS) on a DELL (or any computer)

I rebuild a lot of Dells in my shops....

The recovery discs contain the DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE as well as windows....

And if you had ever tried to download the Webcam software for a Dell (NOT the drivers) you would know why with Dells the recovery discs are needed...

June 20, 2012 11:02:53 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I rebuild a lot of Dells in my shops....

The recovery discs contain the DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE as well as windows....

And if you had ever tried to download the Webcam software for a Dell (NOT the drivers) you would know why with Dells the recovery discs are needed...

Guess you never thought of using any other software then the one DELL makes available... drivers are you all need and dont need recovery discs for that
June 20, 2012 11:12:27 PM

lafontma said:
Guess you never thought of using any other software then the one DELL makes available... drivers are you all need and dont need recovery discs for that

Of course we have , but putting non manufacturers software rather than genuine does NOT please the customer who brought it into my shops for a system reload, as an example...

In exceptional circumstances, we have HAD to use YAWCAM instead of the Dell software, but that doesnt work as well as the Dell software....which as I said you cannot download...

!