GSM service in Osaka?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,rec.travel.asia,fj.rec.travel.japan (More info?)

My GSM phone service provider has roaming agreements with two networks
in Japan: NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone. Does this mean it's possible to use
my plain old GSM handset in Osaka? Anyone who has done so, please let
me know.

thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about service osaka
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,rec.travel.asia,fj.rec.travel.japan (More info?)

    In article <1122364388.931674.215010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    eugene <eugenefodor@hotmail.com> wrote:

    € My GSM phone service provider has roaming agreements with two networks
    € in Japan: NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone. Does this mean it's possible to use
    € my plain old GSM handset in Osaka? Anyone who has done so, please let
    € me know.

    € thanks

    Highly unlikely that you'll be able to use your existing 2G GSM handset
    in Osaka. DoCoMo and Vodafone use different CDMA networks in Japan
    (DoCoMo uses FOMA, Vodafone is CDMA 1X) for 2G.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,rec.travel.asia,fj.rec.travel.japan (More info?)

    On 26 Jul 2005 00:53:08 -0700, "eugene" <eugenefodor@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >My GSM phone service provider has roaming agreements with two networks
    >in Japan: NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone. Does this mean it's possible to use
    >my plain old GSM handset in Osaka? Anyone who has done so, please let
    >me know.
    >
    >thanks

    Certainly not with DoCoMo. I am not sure of GSM availability in
    Japan. Vodaphone in most of the world is GSM, but they are part owners
    of CDMA systems in the USA.

    The Japanese system is called PDC, and while it has a number of
    technical similiarites to GSM, just as IS-136 has, there is no
    interoperatbility that I am aware of, not to mention that the
    frequency allocations for PDC are 'bizarre'. (it is in several
    discontinuous pieces).
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,rec.travel.asia,fj.rec.travel.japan (More info?)

    In article <1122364388.931674.215010@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    eugene says...
    > My GSM phone service provider has roaming agreements with two networks
    > in Japan: NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone. Does this mean it's possible to use
    > my plain old GSM handset in Osaka? Anyone who has done so, please let
    > me know.

    Maybe get a UMTS phone.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
    Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
    Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,rec.travel.asia,fj.rec.travel.japan (More info?)

    www.gsmworld.com shows those networks as 3G

    --
    A peek at the answer is worth a thousand guesses.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,rec.travel.asia,fj.rec.travel.japan (More info?)

    eugene wrote:
    > My GSM phone service provider has roaming agreements with two networks
    > in Japan: NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone. Does this mean it's possible to use
    > my plain old GSM handset in Osaka? Anyone who has done so, please let
    > me know.

    You should be able to rent a WCDMA handset at the airport that will
    allow you to use your GSM sim.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,rec.travel.asia,fj.rec.travel.japan (More info?)

    David Van Cleef wrote:
    > eugene wrote:
    >
    >>My GSM phone service provider has roaming agreements with two networks
    >>in Japan: NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone. Does this mean it's possible to use
    >>my plain old GSM handset in Osaka? Anyone who has done so, please let
    >>me know.
    >>

    > You should be able to rent a WCDMA handset at the airport that will
    > allow you to use your GSM sim.

    My guess is that if you're planning on doing much calling at all this
    might be the most cost effective, and will probably offer more coverage
    (but that last is pure speculation). You might check with your carrier
    to see what they charge for calls, assuming you can in fact make them.

    John W.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,rec.travel.asia,fj.rec.travel.japan (More info?)

    "eugene" <eugenefodor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Does this mean it's possible to use
    > my plain old GSM handset in Osaka? Anyone who has done so, please let
    > me know.

    Been there, done that. So this is no gessing. There is no GSM in Japan.
    Period. Your plain old tri or quad-band GSM handset will not work. What they
    have in Japan is WCDMA-2100 3G (a.k.a. 3GSM) service from two carriers:
    (Vodafone & DoCoMo) which can support SIM roaming with GSM carriers. You
    will need a WCDMA-2100 handset to roam these carriers. You may be able to
    rent one from your carrier before you go but you can also rent one from the
    Vodafone Rental kiosk at the Osaka airport. It is on the top floor
    (international departures) on the right hand side at the rear. After you
    arrive (bottom floor) you will need to go all the way to the top floor and
    go past the check-in counters to find them. When I checked a couple of years
    ago they charged something like 1,000 Yen/day to rent a WCDMA handset. I
    don't know if they still charge that much, but clearly it's not a good idea
    for long-term roaming. I don't have the URL for Vodafone Rentals but if you
    check www.vodafone.com and follow the links to "Japan" you should be able to
    find it.

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    Donald,

    thanks for the helpful reply.

    Eugene.

    Donald Newcomb wrote:
    > "eugene" <eugenefodor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Does this mean it's possible to use
    > > my plain old GSM handset in Osaka? Anyone who has done so, please let
    > > me know.
    >
    > Been there, done that. So this is no gessing. There is no GSM in Japan.
    > Period. Your plain old tri or quad-band GSM handset will not work. What they
    > have in Japan is WCDMA-2100 3G (a.k.a. 3GSM) service from two carriers:
    > (Vodafone & DoCoMo) which can support SIM roaming with GSM carriers. You
    > will need a WCDMA-2100 handset to roam these carriers. You may be able to
    > rent one from your carrier before you go but you can also rent one from the
    > Vodafone Rental kiosk at the Osaka airport. It is on the top floor
    > (international departures) on the right hand side at the rear. After you
    > arrive (bottom floor) you will need to go all the way to the top floor and
    > go past the check-in counters to find them. When I checked a couple of years
    > ago they charged something like 1,000 Yen/day to rent a WCDMA handset. I
    > don't know if they still charge that much, but clearly it's not a good idea
    > for long-term roaming. I don't have the URL for Vodafone Rentals but if you
    > check www.vodafone.com and follow the links to "Japan" you should be able to
    > find it.
    >
    > --
    > Donald Newcomb