Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I3 vs G620

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2012 6:43:00 PM

Hi,

Earlier I posted a thread between A8 and i3 when I was tight on budget. Now I am extending the budget. Now that thread has turned into a discussion about GPUs and PSUs as my processor is almost finalized.
I am going with i3 2120 but just wanted to know the difference between i3 and G620 in gaming and general performance. i3 has got Hyper threading and higher clock speed.
What difference will it make in gaming and other general tasks like moderate web surfing and multitasking?
I can invest money somewhere else if i3 doesn't have much advantage in gaming other tasks.
I suppose i3 has an edge in productivity tasks.
Also talking about bottleneck, I am planning to go for GTX 55ti or 6770. Whichever I get at cheaper rate. I wanted to know will G620 bottleneck them?
I read at tom's hardware the following lines, but wasn't able to understand them.

"But I already knew that, from last December’s system, even a potent Sandy Bridge-based Core i5 isn't enough for the Radeon HD 6870 to shine in all of our tests at 1920x1080. So, I threw caution to the wind and sought maximum 3D might, ending up with a GeForce GTX 560 Ti in what could otherwise be considered a $290 general-purpose machine."

Thanks.

More about : g620

a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 6:50:54 PM

I'm using a G620 with a 6750 and it's not bad build but your i3+550ti would be much better. Due to the higher clock rate plus the hyper threading technology the i3 will also be better in other tasks so i3>g620 in pretty much everything.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2012 7:07:26 PM

Yes, it will lead but I am asking about gaming and web. The tests are about productivity.
In games the difference is very much less.
What do you think?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 7:13:03 PM

The i3's clock speed makes it way faster. Hyperthreading only helps in some apps and multitasking.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 7:18:32 PM

there are quite a few gaming benchmarks on that cpu compare, scroll down. in some games it is substantial.

i do not know what or how tight your budget. if it is very tight get the G620 and tell any one who screams "bottleneck" they have their head up their arse and show you benchmarks. not talk - BENCHMARKS! (pssst there aren't any)

if you can afford the i3 then go for it! not just the 2100 but the 2120; its a better bang for the buck.

btw, . . WTH is this?
Quote:
even a potent Sandy Bridge-based Core i5 isn't enough for the Radeon HD 6870 to shine in all of our tests at 1920x1080.
m
l
June 21, 2012 11:22:02 AM

Anonymous said:
there are quite a few gaming benchmarks on that cpu compare, scroll down. in some games it is substantial.

i do not know what or how tight your budget. if it is very tight get the G620 and tell any one who screams "bottleneck" they have their head up their arse and show you benchmarks. not talk - BENCHMARKS! (pssst there aren't any)

if you can afford the i3 then go for it! not just the 2100 but the 2120; its a better bang for the buck.

btw, . . WTH is this?
Quote:
even a potent Sandy Bridge-based Core i5 isn't enough for the Radeon HD 6870 to shine in all of our tests at 1920x1080.

If I go for i3 then I will have to go for ATI 67xx series of GPU. Which some people are saying won't be able to play games at that 1080p. So I was just asking.
I was going for i3 in the first case. I will go with i3 99 percent.
The thing you quoted is written in a article of tom's hardware stating of system building marathon PC under 500 USD.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2012 12:22:35 PM

I can comment quite well on the 550ti as I used one for quite a while this year while I waited on 6xx series release.Using BF3 as an example Stock out of the box it will give you playable framerates around medium settings with NO AA. If you overclock it very aggresively you can push those framerates up enough to either turn a few settings to high or turn on a very low amount of AA. I define playable as 30FPS or more.

As to your CPU choices take the i3 if you can afford it

(excuse any typos I may have missed new keyboard is driving me nuts)
m
l
June 21, 2012 12:44:25 PM

GTX 550 ti is same as 6770 in terms of performance.
So. I think I will go with 6770 or GTX 550 ti whichever I get cheap.
the experience is smooth, right? No lag whatsoever?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2012 4:36:54 PM

bloodmage7 said:
If I go for i3 then I will have to go for ATI 67xx series of GPU. Which some people are saying won't be able to play games at that 1080p. So I was just asking.
I was going for i3 in the first case. I will go with i3 99 percent.
The thing you quoted is written in a article of tom's hardware stating of system building marathon PC under 500 USD.

the quote form the symtem builder appears to me as being out of context, not your posting of it but, as far as i have been in benchmarking the sandy bridge i5 has no trouble with any 6870 card.

but i digress.

if you do go for the i3 a 550ti or 6770 you will be fine. i have done a few benchmarks with my rig @ 1920x1080 and never hit more than 50% on my cpu with 99% on my gpu while gaming. i suspect a G620 would handle either fine also. i really would love to get a 6870 or higher and see what this dual core with hyperthreading can do :) 
i know a LOT of people will say it will bottleneck like crazy but i wonder if it won't choke nearly as bad as quadcore fanboys would like to believe.
m
l

Best solution

a c 93 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 8:12:36 PM

The G620 might be okay, but it depends on which games you are trying to play, and how high you are willing to go with the GPU. Some games are quite CPU heavy and need a faster dual core or a quad core. Larger Battlefield 3 multiplayer games run a lot better with a quad core. Grand Theft Auto IV likes a really fast quad core CPU, so much so that my i5 760 at stock clocks is actually bottlenecking my Radeon HD 6870 when running the game at 1080p at high settings. The game is still playable, but I don't get much more than about 30-35 FPS in the more open areas with around 69 to 72% GPU usage.

The big concern about the G620 is the low clockspeed on it, along with no overclock potential. On the more CPU heavy titles, two cores combined with a low clockspeed may hold you back, though not likely too much if you go for a card like a 550Ti or 6770. Just be warned if you do go with the G620, you may have to upgrade your CPU later on to get the most out of a new graphics card, if you want something better than the 550Ti/6770.
June 22, 2012 4:12:29 AM

Best answer selected by bloodmage7.
m
l
!