Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help finding parts for $700 gaming system.

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 5, 2012 4:40:55 PM

Hey guys, I need help putting together a gaming system for about $700 that could play recent games (Skyrim, most importantly) at medium to high settings. I've never built a PC before, but I know you can save some money if you build one yourself.

Approximate Purchase Date: Unknown

Budget Range: <$750

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Case

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or Best Buy

Country: U.S.

Parts Preferences: Intel, but will settle for AMD

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Thanks for any help.
a b 4 Gaming
March 5, 2012 4:43:47 PM

I'm a bit confused do you want help with telling you which parts to look for or you have parts in mind and want help with finding good price for them?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 5, 2012 4:44:27 PM

How does the build below strike you? Also, would you happen to have a Microcenter near you?

MB - ASRock H67M (B3) - $80
CPU - i5-2400 - $190
MEM - Corsair XMS 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - $20 after MIR
GPU - XFX HD 6870 - $145 after MIR
HD - Seagate 500GB - $95
OPTICAL - 24x DVD-RW - $18
PSU - CORSAIR CX430 - $25 after MIR
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - $100

$673
Share
Related resources
March 5, 2012 4:50:54 PM

AntiZig said:
I'm a bit confused do you want help with telling you which parts to look for or you have parts in mind and want help with finding good price for them?


Help with which parts to look for.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 4:58:59 PM

sadams04 said:
How does the build below strike you? Also, would you happen to have a Microcenter near you?

MB - ASRock H67M (B3) - $80
CPU - i5-2400 - $190
MEM - Corsair XMS 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - $20 after MIR
GPU - XFX HD 6870 - $145 after MIR
HD - Seagate 500GB - $95
OPTICAL - 24x DVD-RW - $18
PSU - CORSAIR CX430 - $25 after MIR
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - $100

$673



At a glance it looks very good. I didn't know you could use an AMD GPU with an Intel Processor. The closest one to me is an hour away near Philadelphia, so if I had to go there it wouldn't be a problem. Also, I don't NEED a new case, but a new one would be nice, since the one I have is pretty old and can't hold more than 1 fan.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 5, 2012 5:11:45 PM

Things change slightly when bringing Microcenter into the mix. Some things are cheaper, but others aren't available for the same Newegg price or after rebate. The build below is all at Microcenter. I would use your existing case unless it really bothers you. No need to spend the money...

MB - Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2H LGA 1155 H61 - $60 after MIR
CPU - i5-2400 - $150
MEM - Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3-1333 CL9 1.5v - $25 after MIR
GPU - XFX HD 6870 - $170 after MIR
HD - Seagate 500GB - $100
OPTICAL - Samsung 24x BD-RW - $18
PSU - Corsair 500w - $55 after MIR
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - $110


$688
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 5:22:01 PM

Ok, the same goes for the monitor I currently have. It's old, but still works, but it has a perfectly square screen. Should I get a new one?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
March 5, 2012 5:26:26 PM

HotToePicker said:
Ok, the same goes for the monitor I currently have. It's old, but still works, but it has a perfectly square screen. Should I get a new one?


Up to you really... If you have the budget to spend, then a 23" / 24" monitor can be had for around $150, but if you aren't having any problems with the old 4:3 monitor then stick with it. Again, no need to spend the money if you are happy with what you have.

Acer 23" LED Backlight LCD ($150 => http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 5:30:55 PM

Ok, thanks for all the help.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 5:35:52 PM

Best answer selected by HotToePicker.
m
0
l
!