Sign in with
Your question

Is the Crucial Adrenaline worth buying?

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2012 6:35:46 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am interested in purchasing one of these for my Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB.

I already have two other SSDs one being a M4 64GB for my OS. So I figured if the adrenaline can boost my hdd then why not buy one. Haven't heard anything about it so I am not sure if it is worth getting or how to set it up properly lol.

After doing some reading I see that it won't be an issue trying to hook it up, the only thing I am wondering right now is if it will boost my gaming experience. I have a ton of games but my SSDs can only hold so many and my HDD carries all of my steam games so I would like to have this to boost my HDD games :) 

MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
Spinpoint F3 1TB
M4 64GB
etc

lmk what you guys think :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2012 7:11:17 PM

Are you trying to use quicksync on your Z68 motherboard, or just adding some addiitonal faster storage?

$120 for a 50GB SSD compared with the with the M4 128GB for $150 - $170... On the surface I would say no it isn't worth it.

You would be better off selling your 64GB M4, then buying the 128GB version for your OS / boot drive. Quicksync won't benefit the the secondary drive (F3) in a true data / secondary storage role. That is to say you won't notice the benefit in a real world scenario.
m
l
March 5, 2012 8:21:14 PM

sadams04 said:
Are you trying to use quicksync on your Z68 motherboard, or just adding some addiitonal faster storage?

$120 for a 50GB SSD compared with the with the M4 128GB for $150 - $170... On the surface I would say no it isn't worth it.

You would be better off selling your 64GB M4, then buying the 128GB version for your OS / boot drive. Quicksync won't benefit the the secondary drive (F3) in a true data / secondary storage role. That is to say you won't notice the benefit in a real world scenario.

Well apparently it works along side the z68 ssd feature so mainly what I would like to see it do is boost my gaming/apps/music that is on my HDD. Storage space isn't an issue, the HDD being a little slow sometimes is. If this will speed up my everday functions even by just a few seconds it will save me time spent waiting lol.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2012 10:58:15 AM

You aren't going to see the benefit of quicksync on a storage / app drive as you would on an OS / boot drive. The F3 is quick enough on its own for what you are doing.
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2012 8:28:21 PM

From what I understand, the Adrenaline turns a regular hard drive into a hybrid drive.

It is a useful thing to do, but I don't know if it will accomplish what you want to accomplish.

For the fastest gaming performance, all gaming files need to be loaded from the SSD portion.

If you just hook up the adrenaline, that won't really be happening any more than it is now.

As long as the regular hard drive is in the picture, things won't be optimal.

As others said, you could get rid of the old SSD and get a bigger one that fits all your gaming files on it. That would accomplish the objective maximally, but also cost the most money as well.

If that isn't being considered due to cost concerns, I think you should just do nothing and keep whatever performance you have now.

Either that or just get another small SSD and load your steam games or whatever on that and use it alongside your other SSD.
m
l
March 11, 2012 3:09:30 AM

I bought an HP P7-1287c at Costco. I then migrated the drive onto a 64GB Crucial SSD and then put the original drive back in with Adrenaline. The Passmark scores were 1556 and 1555 respectively. I need to find a better test to push the limits of Adrenaline and use the drive during the benchmark.

I rebooted several times and the differences were negligible, all around 27 seconds from pressing the power button to displaying CNN's homepage.

I bought a bunch the day they came out. I think they will be perfect for business applications, but I'm really curious how it'll perform in a gaming scenario. Please let me know if you try it.
m
l
April 2, 2012 1:24:44 AM

baddogcomputing said:
I bought an HP P7-1287c at Costco. I then migrated the drive onto a 64GB Crucial SSD and then put the original drive back in with Adrenaline. The Passmark scores were 1556 and 1555 respectively. I need to find a better test to push the limits of Adrenaline and use the drive during the benchmark.

I rebooted several times and the differences were negligible, all around 27 seconds from pressing the power button to displaying CNN's homepage.

I bought a bunch the day they came out. I think they will be perfect for business applications, but I'm really curious how it'll perform in a gaming scenario. Please let me know if you try it.

The Adrenaline would have worked well for my system if I had the OS on my HDD, so right now its operating as a paper weight in my dresser.

I can no longer return it so I will just sit on the Adrenaline till I need it for a HDD system.

If you want a program to benchmark the performance, try CrystalDiskMark3.0.1 I believe.
m
l
April 2, 2012 2:39:10 AM

akamrcrack said:
The Adrenaline would have worked well for my system if I had the OS on my HDD, so right now its operating as a paper weight in my dresser.

I can no longer return it so I will just sit on the Adrenaline till I need it for a HDD system.

If you want a program to benchmark the performance, try CrystalDiskMark3.0.1 I believe.

I'll give that one a try.

I did not notice that you had the SSD already for your OS. You said you have a couple, have you considered doing a RAID 0 with your SSDs to get even more speed?

I'd offer to buy the thing from you, but I can't even sell them at below cost. I have too many, so I put them on Ebay and our local classifieds. I had 5 views last I checked.

I sold a slightly used 128GB SSD in hours.

I wonder if it is just poor marketing on Crucial's part. The Adrenaline seems like the perfect solution for a lot of people that don't want to spend several hundred on a large SSD. Have you noticed their recent rapid price drops this week? Anyone have ideas? Quarter end thing, new product, or just not selling (like I'm seeing with the Adrenaline).
m
l
April 2, 2012 2:48:00 AM

baddogcomputing said:
I'll give that one a try.

I did not notice that you had the SSD already for your OS. You said you have a couple, have you considered doing a RAID 0 with your SSDs to get even more speed?

I'd offer to buy the thing from you, but I can't even sell them at below cost. I have too many, so I put them on Ebay and our local classifieds. I had 5 views last I checked.

I sold a slightly used 128GB SSD in hours.

I wonder if it is just poor marketing on Crucial's part. The Adrenaline seems like the perfect solution for a lot of people that don't want to spend several hundred on a large SSD. Have you noticed their recent rapid price drops this week? Anyone have ideas? Quarter end thing, new product, or just not selling (like I'm seeing with the Adrenaline).

The prices overall are dropping on SSDs. The top dog SSDs are seeing some of the biggest price drops.

The Adrenaline is a great product for what it does I just don't think enough people know about them. I would have gone with a 128GB Crucial M4 instead of the Adrenaline because of the fact that the M4 128GB was $150~ a few days ago so basically only $40 more for 2x the capacity.

You are probably having little luck at selling them because 1, they already own a SSD. 2, they have no clue what a SSD is or does. 3, they don't see any benifits from buying one.

I know for sure next time I want to consider a SSD to add to my pc, it will be a real SSD just because I already have my OS on a SSD so I am technically living in the future in terms of Hybrid drives.

As for raiding my SSDs, I have considered this as an option but I would want a certain set of SSDs to do so like 2x 250GB Intel 320s for example so I can have 500GB of speedy reliable gg storage :) 
m
l
April 5, 2012 1:45:22 PM

Does the Adrenaline Cache increase the performance of your CPU? Or is it just lilmited to creating a hybrid drive. I have two SSD cables on my OEM. I was thinking I could use Crucial M4 128 GB for system and boot, then create an efficient relationship with my original Hard Disk for file storage with Adrenaline. I'm looking for speed increase with regards to system & boot + efficiency. The low watt characterisitics are interesting, also.
m
l
April 7, 2012 11:52:11 AM

awentas said:
Does the Adrenaline Cache increase the performance of your CPU? Or is it just lilmited to creating a hybrid drive. I have two SSD cables on my OEM. I was thinking I could use Crucial M4 128 GB for system and boot, then create an efficient relationship with my original Hard Disk for file storage with Adrenaline. I'm looking for speed increase with regards to system & boot + efficiency. The low watt characterisitics are interesting, also.

This is what I am starting to think would be the best bet for myself

Uninstall OS from my 64GB M4, install OS onto the HDD, Hook up and run the Crucial Adrenaline syncing program so they merge, and then use my 64GB M4 as storage for intense games like SC2/BF3 etc etc, run my Intel 320 as a program/apps/etc and then use my 1TB of HDD space + the Crucial M4 give me a boost.

I will be using the HDD to store my mass amount of games/movies/etc so I am hoping the Crucial Adrenaline will boost the OS (even if 3+ secs slower) and a pretty sexy increase in games.

Atleast that is what I am thinking.

As to your comment, if you want speedy OS + speedy drivers/1 or 2 games (can link a thread that allows you to shrink the OS down to 15ish gigs. The upside with teh Adrenaline is that it will boost your HDD as long as the OS is isntalled on the HDD so I am thinking it will boost music/movies/games as well. Or you could just get a Smasung 830 60GB
m
l
April 15, 2012 2:23:28 PM

I have to say, I am definately impressed with the boost from my Crucial Adrenaline that I thought was going to sit as a paper weight.

Installed my OS onto my HDD to try it out ^_^. Load times improved dramatically between having the OS on just the HDD and having the cache drive + hdd along with daily things that felt slow or ~average.

Below will show you guys what the speeds are looking like thank you to CrystalDiskMark 3

Samsung F3 1TB & Crucial Adrenaline

Intel 320 Series 120GB

Crucial M4 64GB

I didn't get a chance to save my test of just the samsung but we all know its low and you can easily google the performance.

I give it my seal of approval!

Quality SSD (its really a crucial m4 64GB made for caching)
Quality controller (Marvell ftw)
Quality software (Dataplex)
Quality performance (+100)

Basically, I just turned my HDD from a sata II slowpoke to a sata II beast equally as powerful as my Intel 320 series SSD.
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:17:04 PM

Best answer selected by akamrcrack.
m
l
!