How to create skype shortcut icon on windows 8

wbsaunders

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
How do I create a Skype icon on my windows 8 desktop? I have it in the metro, but it would be easier if I have it as a icon to click.

G

Not sure if there is an official way but I created shortcuts on my desktop by browsing for the programs executable in file explorer and then right click -> Send to desktop (Create Shortcut).

Alternatively you can right click on the Modern UI tile and select -> Pin to Taskbar

theFakeGeek

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hello!

Right-click on the desktop and in the pop up menu go to New and then Shortcut. In the dialogue that pops up type in the following:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “” “skype:”

Click Next, name the shortcut Skype, and click Finish. The shortcut will appear on your desktop.

If you want to make Skype launch on startup you can move the shortcut to the startup folder. The instructions can be found here: http://www.thefakegeek.com/2013/12/how-to-run-skype-on-startup-in-windows-8-and-8-1/

daedalus2

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I am a comp dummy. so bear with me/Just got new laptop and hate the obligatory W8. Hate the huge dimensions skype is provided and prefer the old appearance. much more convenient. Trying to get a Taskbar Skype Icon, I suddenly realized that skype is provided "in the cloud" by Microsoft and there is no actual program in the laptop, hence cannot easily get a desktop icon.

Solved both issues by using the installed desktop to download Skype using Firefox and hey presto, the old, easier usage appearance and taskbar Icon. If you prefer the W8 cloud useage, help yourself. to me this is much preferred. F...ing Microsoft; can't leave things alone. If it's not broke, don't mess with it is my philsophy!!

blogsworth

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014

blogsworth

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
wbsaunders solution of clicking on the link he posted worked spot on. I now have Skype on the desktop and functioning as it did in Windows 7. Windows 8.1 would not let me access Skype without entering a micrsoft account name and password. Why should I be put to all this extra trouble? Geting out of the full screen Windows 8.1 window is a nightmare, cancel has no effect and you have to leave the curser arrow at the bottom left corner for ages before anything happens. A diabolical frustrating piece of software. I did not want to go through the Firefox option suggested by daedalus2 because of problems with photo files being highjacked so I had to ditch firefox to get things back to normal. It is annoying that we have to spend so much time in forums trying to resolve difficulties caused by software companies fixing things that ain't broke. I know that if developments had not continued we would all still be struggling in Windows 3.1, but I do feel that instead of building on the best improvements, Microsoft seem to like an almost complete rehash these days and hash seems to be what they leave us with.

aabharan

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Skype has also made it even easier for you to call landlines or mobile ... With Windows 8 have built a new full-screen immersive and attractive functions .... When i messaging someone in metro app everything is ok, and then i switch to desktop but i am in trouble ... Please windows add the share button icon on the next update, I will really imprecate that when windows launches this asap.