Sign in with
Your question

How to create skype shortcut icon on windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
January 21, 2013 1:51:17 PM

How do I create a Skype icon on my windows 8 desktop? I have it in the metro, but it would be easier if I have it as a icon to click.
Anonymous
January 21, 2013 3:53:08 PM

Not sure if there is an official way but I created shortcuts on my desktop by browsing for the programs executable in file explorer and then right click -> Send to desktop (Create Shortcut).

Alternatively you can right click on the Modern UI tile and select -> Pin to Taskbar
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 21, 2013 4:06:37 PM

similar to above

right click desktop--new--shortcut-- then browse to executable
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2013 3:58:23 PM

wbsaunders said:
How do I create a Skype icon on my windows 8 desktop? I have it in the metro, but it would be easier if I have it as a icon to click.

I found my answer from another source. Just click on the link below and the Skype icon will appear on your desktop and behave as it did under Windows 7 !!

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full
m
l
July 10, 2013 3:42:53 PM

Very simple,just right click and select create shortcut from the dropdown menu. Then cut the shortcut and paste on your desktop.
m
l
December 30, 2013 9:57:57 PM

Hello!

Right-click on the desktop and in the pop up menu go to New and then Shortcut. In the dialogue that pops up type in the following:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start “” “skype:”

Click Next, name the shortcut Skype, and click Finish. The shortcut will appear on your desktop.

If you want to make Skype launch on startup you can move the shortcut to the startup folder. The instructions can be found here: http://www.thefakegeek.com/2013/12/how-to-run-skype-on-...
m
l
March 22, 2014 7:41:37 PM

I am a comp dummy. so bear with me/Just got new laptop and hate the obligatory W8. Hate the huge dimensions skype is provided and prefer the old appearance. much more convenient. Trying to get a Taskbar Skype Icon, I suddenly realized that skype is provided "in the cloud" by Microsoft and there is no actual program in the laptop, hence cannot easily get a desktop icon.

Solved both issues by using the installed desktop to download Skype using Firefox and hey presto, the old, easier usage appearance and taskbar Icon. If you prefer the W8 cloud useage, help yourself. to me this is much preferred. F...ing Microsoft; can't leave things alone. If it's not broke, don't mess with it is my philsophy!!
m
l
!