Language different on some programs

It seems that somehow the language on "paint" and a few
other programs on my computer have been changed to show
some sort of kanji ( chinese, japanese, ???) I don't
know how this happened, but I would like to change it
back. When I open "paint" everything shows up as normal,
i.e. file, edit view ect. but when I click on "print
preview" and it opens the preview, all the tabs at the
top are now in this kanji. I have run through all the
steps that are given in "help" and nothing works. I even
did a system restore to 2 months ago, thinking it might
override the problem, but no luck. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks All,
Mrs. Kenney

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:39:45 -0700, Mrs. Kenney wrote:

> It seems that somehow the language on "paint" and a few
> other programs on my computer have been changed to show
> some sort of kanji ( chinese, japanese, ???) I don't
> know how this happened, but I would like to change it
> back. When I open "paint" everything shows up as normal,
> i.e. file, edit view ect. but when I click on "print
> preview" and it opens the preview, all the tabs at the
> top are now in this kanji. I have run through all the
> steps that are given in "help" and nothing works. I even
> did a system restore to 2 months ago, thinking it might
> override the problem, but no luck. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks All,
> Mrs. Kenney

Locate the file mfc42loc.dll and, if found, check its properties.

This file tells mfc42.dll what language to use in some dialog and menu
boxes. Installing a program that comes in multiple languages (or installing
an update that is not the same language as the operating system) will
occasionally drop a copy of this file that does not match the user's
preferred language settings. Renaming or deleting the file allows Windows
to use the chosen language settings instead the language noted by the file.

NOTE: Do NOT rename or move the mfc42.dll file. That is a normal file and
should be left alone.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User