Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unplugged graphics card, then plugged it back in. Now there is no display. Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 2, 2012 6:54:38 PM

Hello,

I have a Gateway FX6840. Yesterday I unplugged the graphics card to clean up some of the dust, I then plugged it back in. Started up the computer and now I can't get any display from either the VGA port connected to the motherboard or any of the ports connected to the graphics card. I've tried everything I can think of. Can anyone help me?
The graphics card is a Radeon 5770 with 1x HDMI 1x Displayport 1x DVI
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 7:04:17 PM

Please ensure you have plugged in the 6 wire connector that feeds the card power. It should be on the end of the card.

Failing that, maybe the card is not inserted all the way, try to remove and reinsert the card. It never hurts to use an air duster to make sure there is no dust in the slot on the board either.
m
0
l
January 2, 2012 7:12:37 PM

nukemaster said:
Please ensure you have plugged in the 6 wire connector that feeds the card power. It should be on the end of the card.

Failing that, maybe the card is not inserted all the way, try to remove and reinsert the card. It never hurts to use an air duster to make sure there is no dust in the slot on the board either.


Thanks for your reply!

I've plugged in the 6 wire connector,
I'll use my air duster to remove all the dust I can.

If all this fails do you have any other suggestions? Any whatsoever, I'm desperate.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 7:20:59 PM

If this does not work, i would remove the card to see if the system boots with the onboard video. At least that rules out other system failure.

But most times, its just a problem with the card not getting seated all the way into the slot. If you have a clean eraser, you can clean the contacts(PCI-e) on the card with it as well(removed dirt and oxidization). Be careful not to hit little surface mount parts near the contacts.
m
0
l
January 2, 2012 7:28:12 PM

nukemaster said:
If this does not work, i would remove the card to see if the system boots with the onboard video. At least that rules out other system failure.

But most times, its just a problem with the card not getting seated all the way into the slot. If you have a clean eraser, you can clean the contacts(PCI-e) on the card with it as well. Be careful not to bit little surface mount parts near the contacts.


Tried unplugging the graphics card and turning the computer on connecting my monitor to the VGA port on the motherboard. The computer beeps repeatedly. It goes beeeeeep beep-beep... beeeeep beep-beep and on and on.

Any idea what that is?

I'm not the best with computer but by clean eraser you literally mean a clean eraser used to erase pencil, right? I'd rub that on what? Sorry!

Thanks a million for your help!
m
0
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 7:36:35 PM

Ok, to use the onboard video, you need to fully remove the video card. not just unplug it.

I do not think you NEED to do the eraser thing...

For the eraser. There is a link that shows what to do, I have been doing this for years when rebuilding older systems. Works with ram as well. I just use a can of compressed gas(air duster) to remove the eraser bits that get left behind.

http://godzyla.net78.net/pcipolish/pcipolish.html
m
0
l
January 2, 2012 7:43:14 PM

nukemaster said:
Ok, to use the onboard video, you need to fully remove the video card. not just unplug it.

I do not think you NEED to do the eraser thing...

For the eraser. There is a link that shows what to do, I have been doing this for years when rebuilding older systems. Works with ram as well. I just use a can of compressed gas(air duster) to remove the eraser bits that get left behind.

http://godzyla.net78.net/pcipolish/pcipolish.html


Thanks for the eraser idea! I'll try that.

I did fully remove the video card! Unplugged it and disconnected the 6 wire cable.
Any ideas on what that beeping is?
m
0
l
January 2, 2012 7:51:14 PM

Eraser didn't do anything. Any more suggestions?
m
0
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:00:22 PM

Does it also beep with the card in and 6 pin connected?

If it does, beeeeep beep beep, can mean a ram problem. I know it sounds like a never ending list, but removal of and re installation of memory would be the next step.

Memory can come a bit loose when working in the computer. To remove memory, there are arms on either side of the stick, you push them outwards and the stick sound come loose. To reinstall, just push the stick in until the arms grab it again.
m
0
l
January 2, 2012 8:08:48 PM

nukemaster said:
Does it also beep with the card in and 6 pin connected?

If it does, beeeeep beep beep, can mean a ram problem. I know it sounds like a never ending list, but removal of and re installation of memory would be the next step.

Memory can come a bit loose when working in the computer. To remove memory, there are arms on either side of the stick, you push them outwards and the stick sound come loose. To reinstall, just push the stick in until the arms grab it again.


It doesn't beep when the card is in and the 6 pin is connected.

Alright I will try that! Thank you! Should I try the ram trick with or without the graphics card in?
m
0
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:14:55 PM

Do you have full system specs? do you know if the onboard video even works? If it is an H series chipset(Intel), the onboard video needs a cpu with onboard video to work.

http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2010/gateway/fx/fx...

It says it is an H series chipset, so I need to know if you know the CPU model number

Would be something line I5 750 or i7 850 ect.

I ask this, because my H55 board has onboard video ports, but they will never work since my cpu has no onboard video.
m
0
l
!