Sign in with
Your question

Advice about undervolting

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2012 8:52:57 PM

Hi
I have a Phenom II 955. and in wher in summer and it's hot. so the cpu fan started to get annoying so I undervolted it to 1.22 an under clocked to 2.6 ghz. (didn't affect my games).
So I need your opinions on
1-will undervolting harm my cpu
2-what is the minimal voltage for 3.2 GHZ
3-what is the the lifespan of my phenom 2 and will undervolting increase it and how how much will it add to it's lifespan

More about : advice undervolting

June 20, 2012 10:31:48 PM

bayern said:
Hi
I have a Phenom II 955. and in wher in summer and it's hot. so the cpu fan started to get annoying so I undervolted it to 1.22 an under clocked to 2.6 ghz. (didn't affect my games).
So I need your opinions on
1-will undervolting harm my cpu
2-what is the minimal voltage for 3.2 GHZ
3-what is the the lifespan of my phenom 2 and will undervolting increase it and how how much will it add to it's lifespan

it will extend the life of your equipment.

as for how much... that is up to the pc gods.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 10:35:25 PM

1--no

2--every cpu is different so you would need to find that out by trial and error

3--dont know--cpus should last a while--you would probably upgrade it before the end of its life span
m
l
Related resources
a c 193 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 12:48:13 AM

I did the same thing with my 955 because the first summer after I built my system I didn't have air conditioning. Just like overclocking, there are no magic settings that work for all chips since they are all ever so slightly different, you have to do some trial and error. I was able to get my 955 down to about 1.25 V at 3.2 GHz, I didn't try to go any lower.

In the review tom's did a few years back they got it down to 1.152 V and were able to keep it stable at 3.2 GHz so it really depends on your chip and how long you are willing to work at it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/undervolt-cpu-pheno...
m
l
a c 100 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 4:43:38 AM

All suggestions above are good ones!

Under-volting coupled with underclocking will definitely lower temps and thereby prolong the life of electronics. This would be good during the hotter months in summer.
m
l
June 21, 2012 1:28:28 PM

thank you all very much for your replies
and I just want to know one more thing
Will Undervolting Reduce Performance
m
l
a c 193 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 3:46:00 PM

If you keep the clock speed the same the performance is identical, the voltage has no effect on the performance of the CPU. If you reduce the maximum clock speed while you are undervolting to further reduce power consumption your performance will also be reduced.
m
l
!