Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • ATI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 2, 2012 7:47:29 PM

I need some help in picking a new graphics card, i was looking at a ATI Radeon HD 6950, but i started to look at benchmark testing with Geforce GTX's 500 series. Now im clueless in which is better, so id like to know what you guy prefer...

Geforce or AMD(ATI)?

More about : geforce amd ati

a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:10:47 PM

k0blood said:
I need some help in picking a new graphics card, i was looking at a ATI Radeon HD 6950, but i started to look at benchmark testing with Geforce GTX's 500 series. Now im clueless in which is better, so id like to know what you guy prefer...

Geforce or AMD(ATI)?

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r6850_cyclo... AMD has the best Price/Performance for GPUs and CPUs.
Score
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:18:26 PM

What amount of money do you have available to spend on this video card. You will get the best performance from the GTX 580 but you will also pay for it.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:27:49 PM

inzone said:
What amount of money do you have available to spend on this video card. You will get the best performance from the GTX 580 but you will also pay for it.

GTX580 is a price/performance fail
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:36:43 PM

GeForce cards tend to give better performance on most games.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:40:59 PM

Sunius said:
GeForce cards tend to give better performance on most games.

LOL ya prove it
Score
January 2, 2012 8:41:24 PM

While GeForece cards USUALLY give more performance, its not a very good ratio.
Headspin_69 said:
GTX580 is a price/performance fail

Yes but it is still the most powerful card available to the public atm and sli will destroy anything, sure it is around $1000, but if you are considering the ram performance you are getting i say its worth it
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:43:11 PM

General2012 said:
While GeForece cards USUALLY give more performance, its not a very good ratio.

Yes but it is still the most powerful card available to the public atm and sli will destroy anything, sure it is around $1000, but if you are considering the ram performance you are getting i say its worth it

Well that about to change and AMD still has the most power card on the planet today the 6990 which gives allot more power than one GTX 580 for little more cash invested.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:47:39 PM

First decide how much you can spend, then decide what games you play, and then decide which resolution you play at. After that check toms benches, anandtech's benches, and many other sites that have those games in their benchmarks.

Some general things to remember...no company has better graphics...both AMD and Nvidia are 99% the same in terms of picture quality for most people....ignore the fanboys. All the so called extra features don't really matter unless you're gonna spend $500+..for eg: Physx from nvidia isn't worth it when you're spending under $500 because your video card won't be able to keep up with the game...and even more most games don't use physx...similarly Eyeinfinity sounds all catchy from AMD but you can't get the most from it unless you spend a lot more money.

So basically the main decider is frames per second for a given price point for a given game at the given resolution you wanna play at. Whichever card is better....go with that.

Toms even does articles on best graphics card for the money..that might help but it doesn't go into specific games.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 8:52:53 PM

dharmenparikh said:
First decide how much you can spend, then decide what games you play, and then decide which resolution you play at. After that check toms benches, anandtech's benches, and many other sites that have those games in their benchmarks.

Some general things to remember...no company has better graphics...both AMD and Nvidia are 99% the same in terms of picture quality for most people....ignore the fanboys. All the so called extra features don't really matter unless you're gonna spend $500+..for eg: Physx from nvidia isn't worth it when you're spending under $500 because your video card won't be able to keep up with the game...and even more most games don't use physx...similarly Eyeinfinity sounds all catchy from AMD but you can't get the most from it unless you spend a lot more money.

So basically the main decider is frames per second for a given price point for a given game at the given resolution you wanna play at. Whichever card is better....go with that.

Toms even does articles on best graphics card for the money..that might help but it doesn't go into specific games.

when logic is considered first and loyalty to your wallet is considered a close second Radeon is on top.
Score
a c 254 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:11:59 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Well that about to change and AMD still has the most power card on the planet today the 6990 which gives allot more power than one GTX 580 for little more cash invested.

The GTX 580 is the most powerful single gpu , you are not comparing similar cards if you are including dual gpu cards. If you want to compare dual gpu cards then try to find a card anywhere that will compete with the Asus Mars card.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:25:36 PM

inzone said:
The GTX 580 is the most powerful single gpu , you are not comparing similar cards if you are including dual gpu cards. If you want to compare dual gpu cards then try to find a card anywhere that will compete with the Asus Mars card.

ASUS MARS 2 is a complete fail $1100 for bad drivers and shifty scaling and I am not all AMD/Radeon ether they have there problems too scaling is not one of them but the Radeon HD 69xx series cards are a fail just like the Nvidia 5xx series. http://www.overclockersclub.com/re [...] lone/5.htm The Radeon HD 58xx and 68xx series as well as the Nvidia 4xx series are still just as good as the new stuff from Nvidia and Radeon but the Nvidia 4xx series sucked at power consumption efficiency and heat with the 460 being a noteworthy exception and one of Nvidias all time best.
Score
January 2, 2012 9:27:43 PM

what? and the link is dead
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:31:16 PM

k0blood said:
what? and the link is dead

hit it again I fixed it
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:34:37 PM

Headspin_69 said:
ASUS MARS 2 is a complete fail $1100 for bad drivers and shifty scaling and I am not all AMD/Radeon ether they have there problems too scaling is not one of them but the Radeon HD 69xx series cards are a fail just like the Nvidia 5xx series. http://www.overclockersclub.com/re [...] lone/5.htm The Radeon HD 58xx and 68xx series as well as the Nvidia 4xx series are still just as good as the new stuff from Nvidia and Radeon but the Nvidia 4xx series sucked at power consumption efficiency and heat with the 460 being a noteworthy exception and one of Nvidias all time best.

That's not the point.

You tried saying how 6990 is much better than a 580. Apples and oranges dude. The 6990 is a DUAL GPU, therefor, it must be compared to Nvidia's DUAL GPU, which is the 590. They trade blows. It comes down to what games you play, and which cards they run better on.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:38:22 PM

k0blood said:
i dont even want to overclock, and i dont think i can get anything higher than a 6950 because my new psu will be 500W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

Your PSU will run any single card on the market and how hard is it to Overclock a GPU msi Afterburner you just slide a button across a bar and your done its that easy. Plus the Radeon HD 6870/6850 is every bit as good and better than a HD 6950 so save $50 and get a nice high end 6870 that performs better than a 6950.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:43:10 PM

trogdor796 said:
That's not the point.

You tried saying how 6990 is much better than a 580. Apples and oranges dude. The 6990 is a DUAL GPU, therefor, it must be compared to Nvidia's DUAL GPU, which is the 590. They trade blows. It comes down to what games you play, and which cards they run better on.

What matters is the high end graphics market today is an over hyped/priced joke on the end user/consumer and we can only hope that the next iterations from both camps bring it back to the people the gamers.
Score
January 2, 2012 9:43:39 PM

anyone else agrees with headspin?
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:44:54 PM

k0blood said:
my budget is no more than $300, i was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530 but mainly i just want to run battlefield 3.. will i be able to run that game on medium, high, or ultra? ive read some benchmarking, but id like some opinions/advice from people

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This one will blow HD6950 away when overclocked. It's super easy to do too, all you need is to move a slider. That's it. With this one you could play BF3 with ultra graphics except for MSAA, which should be off or 2x.

I don't agree with headspin, he links benchmark for ONE game. Check this instead:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/fastest-graphics-card-rad...
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:47:00 PM

Sunius said:

This one will blow HD6950 away when overclocked. It's super easy to do too, all you need is to move a slider. That's it. With this one you could play BF3 with ultra graphics except for MSAA, which should be off or 2x.

they over priced the 560ti by $50
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 9:51:36 PM

Sunius said:
You can get this one too, if you prefer to overclock manually.

Still, way better than HD6950.

msi6870HAWK is cheaper than a msi560ti Twin Frozer 2 from msi and overclocked they match each other in performance but the 560ti is just got better marketing and more fan boys.
Score
January 2, 2012 9:54:15 PM

lol this became a battle between two GPU names, i dont even know what to purchase now. i think ill go to my brother's friend who is a computer engineer lol....
Score
January 2, 2012 9:58:32 PM

plus i think ill just purchase the 6950, cause i all i want to play is battlefield 3 on high or ultra, *** maybe on medium. so if you guys want to still give me advice then go for it, it'll help alot. this is basically the first time i buy a GPU so i need the advice lol BUT DONT START A DAMN WAR..
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 10:00:09 PM

k0blood said:
lol this became a battle between two GPU names, i dont even know what to purchase now. i think ill go to my brother's friend who is a computer engineer lol....

Radeon gives you great high end performance at a good price in there mid range however with Radeon and Nvidia at the high end so that includes the 5xx Nvidias and 69xx Radeons both charge way to much for small improvements over there previous generation of cards minor revisions really that should have been addressed before the new stuff was released lets hope the next gen from Nvidia and Radeon get it right.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 10:02:51 PM

k0blood said:
plus i think ill just purchase the 6950, cause i all i want to play is battlefield 3 on high or ultra, *** maybe on medium. so if you guys want to still give me advice then go for it, it'll help alot. this is basically the first time i buy a GPU so i need the advice lol BUT DONT START A DAMN WAR..

A $160 Radeon HD 6870 can play BF3 just as well as a $249 Radeon HD 6950 or Nvidia 560ti.
Score
January 2, 2012 10:09:36 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Radeon gives you great high end performance at a good price in there mid range however with Radeon and Nvidia at the high end so that includes the 5xx Nvidias and 69xx Radeons both charge way to much for small improvements over there previous generation of cards minor revisions really that should have been addressed before the new stuff was released lets hope the next gen from Nvidia and Radeon get it right.

then if they small improvements to the 6950, then id purchase that one. Why? because i am not upgrading my card from a previous generation. i am buying a new graphics card that i have never put into my computer. so i would actually waste that money to get those small improvement because i am NOT upgrading, if i had a Radeon 6850/6870 THEN FINE i wouldnt upgrade to a 69** whats the point? but i do NOT have a GPU so therefore i can get a 6950. i hope you understood or understand where i am going at from here
Score
January 2, 2012 10:10:55 PM

P.S. i only asked which is better, not a war. and i also asked if a 6950 would run medium, high, or ultra.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 10:19:51 PM

k0blood said:
then if they small improvements to the 6950, then id purchase that one. Why? because i am not upgrading my card from a previous generation. i am buying a new graphics card that i have never put into my computer. so i would actually waste that money to get those small improvement because i am NOT upgrading, if i had a Radeon 6850/6870 THEN FINE i wouldnt upgrade to a 69** whats the point? but i do NOT have a GPU so therefore i can get a 6950. i hope you understood or understand where i am going at from here

The 6950 will only give you a 1-3fps or sometimes less gain or the same or even worse performance over a 6870 that's why I recommend the 68xx series it really is a great performing series and with the 6950 you will spend more and end up with the same or less performance.
Score
January 2, 2012 10:26:46 PM

ill ask the computer engineer about that, thanks for the advice. if thats true then ill most likely get a 6870
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 10:29:48 PM

k0blood said:
ill ask the computer engineer about that, thanks for the advice. if thats true then ill most likely get a 6870

Do your own research that computer tech will or has done the same thing if he knows what he is talking about he will have done things you can do to like Read the reviews, YouTube, forms etc.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 10:51:17 PM

Headspin_69 said:
The 6950 will only give you a 1-3fps or sometimes less gain or the same or even worse performance over a 6870 that's why I recommend the 68xx series it really is a great performing series and with the 6950 you will spend more and end up with the same or less performance.

1-3fps are you kidding me?!

k0blood, take a look here :
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

That should give you the information you are looking for. Please not however that these results are during single player and in multiplayer your frames will likely be a bit lower. As you can see, a 6950 is about 10 frames ahead of a 6870 most of the time. 10 frames. So you can decide if it's worth it or not for the extra money. IMO it is. I will also mention that some 6950's can unlock to 6970's, or OC to near 6970 levels, though this is not guaranteed.

However, this also depends on what resolution you play on. I went back through the thread and didn't see you mention it, and if I missed it, I'm sorry. Knowing the rest of your system specs would also help in making a recommendation. So if you could state your specs and resolution, that would be great.

I did not mean to start any war, and I am sorry if I made the thread stray off topic. By all means ask the computer engineer. I am only going to school for IT and just know things from researching on internet, he should have more insight on the matter. The more opinions you get the more confident you can be in your decision. If you have any more questions I will do my best to answer them.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 11:04:30 PM

trogdor796 said:

That should give you the information you are looking for. Please not however that these results are during single player and in multiplayer your frames will likely be a bit lower. As you can see, a 6950 is about 10 frames ahead of a 6870 most of the time. 10 frames. So you can decide if it's worth it or not for the extra money. IMO it is. I will also mention that some 6950's can unlock to 6970's, or OC to near 6970 levels, though this is not guaranteed.

However, this also depends on what resolution you play on. I went back through the thread and didn't see you mention it, and if I missed it, I'm sorry. Knowing the rest of your system specs would also help in making a recommendation. So if you could state your specs and resolution, that would be great.

I did not mean to start any war, and I am sorry if I made the thread stray off topic. By all means ask the computer engineer. I am only going to school for IT and just know things from researching on internet, he should have more insight on the matter. The more opinions you get the more confident you can be in your decision. If you have any more questions I will do my best to answer them.

Are you kidding me take a look http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r6850_cyclo... the 68xx is a revised and better architecture based off of the Radeon 58xx series cards which are not all hyped up and Whored out like the 69xx cards have been.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 11:13:57 PM

You see, the problem is that you keep linking to some other website with only ONE game, not the game that k0blood wants to play.

He specifically stated that he wants to run BF3 good. Depending on his resolution, the 6870 or the 6950 would likely suffice, although the 6950 is not much more and offers 10fps improvement in BF3, even more with overclocking.

I linked to a tomshardware chart of BF3 comparing the 6870, 6950, and other AMD cards. If that's not legit or good enough for you headspin, I don't know what is.

k0blood, the 6870 and 6950 would both work good, but it depends on the rest of your system and your resolution, but you can look at those charts I linked to get a general idea. As I said before, let me know if you have anymore questions.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 11:19:06 PM

trogdor796 said:
You see, the problem is that you keep linking to some other website with only ONE game, not the game that k0blood wants to play.

He specifically stated that he wants to run BF3 good. Depending on his resolution, the 6870 or the 6950 would likely suffice, although the 6950 is not much more and offers 10fps improvement in BF3, even more with overclocking.

I linked to a tomshardware chart of BF3 comparing the 6870, 6950, and other AMD cards. If that's not legit or good enough for you headspin, I don't know what is.

k0blood, the 6870 and 6950 would both work good, but it depends on the rest of your system and your resolution, but you can look at those charts I linked to get a general idea. As I said before, let me know if you have anymore questions.

Did you even look that link is a whole review of like 8 games LOL plus a whole review
Score
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 11:21:14 PM

k0blood said:

Geforce or AMD(ATI)?

AMD/ATI cards are better on the low end of the cards where Nvidia makes a better high end card. The Nvidia cards have cuda and some games work better with a Nvidia card depends on the Dev's.

But here is a link that will help you understand the difference between the GTX 560 Ti and HD 6950. I think both cards are good it is up to you what one would be best for what you want to do. As you can see everybody has there favorite cards.

We arn't the ones to make up your mind only you can. Everybody here has given there opinion and there proof. But you are the one that has to make up your mind and with that being said I wish you the best.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1533/
Score
January 2, 2012 11:24:34 PM

just go with nVidia...they make better hardware and also the drivers are more stable....in the past i have had both and decided that nVidia is a better choice....sure you pay a little more but it's worth it
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 11:32:43 PM

DM186 said:
AMD/ATI cards are better on the low end of the cards where Nvidia makes a better high end card. The Nvidia cards have cuda and some games work better with a Nvidia card depends on the Dev's.

But here is a link that will help you understand the difference between the GTX 560 Ti and HD 6950. I think both cards are good it is up to you what one would be best for what you want to do. As you can see everybody has there favorite cards.

We arn't the ones to make up your mind only you can. Everybody here has given there opinion and there proof. But you are the one that has to make up your mind and with that being said I wish you the best.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1533/

CUDA is not for games LOL
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2012 11:36:40 PM

nebun said:
just go with nVidia...they make better hardware and also the drivers are more stable....in the past i have had both and decided that nVidia is a better choice....sure you pay a little more but it's worth it

That highly bold and unsubstantiated wheres that facts LOL Nvidias has one thing that is absolutely far Superior over Radeon and that is Marketing Hype and a gang of fans boys to spread dis information based on loaded and sometimes even completely false claims of grander.
Score
January 2, 2012 11:41:39 PM

trogdor796 said:

Here are my SPECS
CPU: Intel i5-2310 2.9GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
PSU: I CURRENTLY BOUGHT A NEW PSU DUE TO THE SMALL WATTAGE MY COMPUTER HAS. HERE IS THE LINK TO MY PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GPU: PLANNING ON BUYING IT http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530
Resolution: 1920x1080
Score
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 12:07:47 AM

Headspin_69 said:
CUDA is not for games LOL

^ :lol: 

I only said that Nvidia has cuda and the dev's use the Nvidia for gaming. So how does that relate to cuda makes the Nvidia card do better gaming? It is just one more thing that Nvidia has and the AMD doesn't at this time.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2012 12:23:44 AM

Headspin_69 said:
Did you even look that link is a whole review of like 8 games LOL plus a whole review

You don't get it do you? Battlefield 3 is NOT ON YOUR LINK. The OP will mainly be playing BF3, he said it right in this thread. He wanted to know what a good card would be for it up to $300. You keep suggesting that the 6870 is what he should get(which is a good card, no denying that), but you come in here with this nonsense of 69XX series are horrible and built wrong, or "hyped up and whored up" in your words. No, this is not correct. In my link, it shows that a 6950 performs BETTER in Battlefield 3, by 10 FRAMES, that's right, 10 FRAMES. And it will excel even further when overclocked. Okay? So it's up to OP to decide whether or not he wants to pay the difference for the extra performance.

k0blood, that is a good system you got there, nice PSU too. So, here is what I'm going to say. This chart shows performance of Nvidia cards, including the 560ti(equivalent of 6950 for Nvidia).

The 560ti gets 53.77fps at your resolution on high settings, while the 6950 gets 61.44. Not a huge difference, but when the cards cost the same price, I would get the one that performs better, especially when you are looking to play Battlefield 3 mainly. I can't tell you exactly why the 6950 runs it better, perhaps the higher amount of VRAM, because BF3 needs a good amount of it.

So if you are mainly looking to run Battlefield 3 at your resolution, the 6950 you linked will run it well on high settings. It may not get 60 frames all the time in multiplayer, since the charts I linked are for singleplayer, but it should come close.

I hope I've given you enough information. Like DM186 said, only you can make the final decision. Whatever you chose though, it should work out good.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have questions about anything else.
January 3, 2012 12:34:43 AM

Best answer selected by k0blood.
Score
January 3, 2012 12:37:48 AM

BOOM, thats all i needed to know. i'll be choosing the 6950, idc if it increase JUST BY 10 FRAMES those 10 frames will most likely help, and i dont mind running in medium, knowing im able to run on high really good is warm feeling, thank you trogdor796, and DM186 for helping me out. I will still ask the computer engineer just to get his opinion and what he thinks about all of this lol
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!