Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Consumer Reports - DigiCam Ratings Report

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 4, 2005 5:04:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Quotes and excerpts from Consumer Reports July 05 Issue:

Three Highest Overall Rated 3-mp Cameras:
Canon PowerShot A510
Canon PowerShot S1 IS
HP Photosmart M307

Three Highest Overall Rated 4- and 5- mp Cameras:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20S
Kodak EasyShare DX6490
Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom

Three Highest Overall Rated 6- to 8- mp Cameras:
Nikon Coolpix 8700
Nikon Coolpix 8400
Canon PowerShot G6

Quick Picks - Listed in order of ratings starting with highest for each
group
Best values overall if you want to get creative:
Canon Powershot S1 IS
Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom
Fujifilm FinePix S3100
Best values for snapshots, compact and simple to use:
Canon Powershot A510
Fujifilm FinePix A330
Kodak EasyShare CX7430
Olympus D-580
Best values for creative editing, provided a long zoom range isn't
critical to you:
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom
Kodak EasyShare CX7530
Nikon Coolpix 5400
Kodak EasyShare LS743
Canon PowerShot A95
Best point-and-shoots for serious photography:
Nikon Coolpix 8700
Canon Powershot G6
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom
Fujifilm FinePix E550
Olympus C-60
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P150

Best Buys - Listed in order of ratings starting with highest for each group
3-mp
Fujifilm FinePix A330
4- and 5- mp
Kodak EasyShare CX7530
Kodak EasyShare CX7430
Canon PowerShot A95
Olympus D-580 Zoom
6- to 8- mp
Fujifilm FinePix E550
Olympus C-60 Zoom

It might be worth taking a look at this issue if you want to see details of
how the various cameras ranked with regards to print quality, flash range,
battery life, next-shot delay, etc. It also has other photo-related articles
such as comparisons of photo printers and photofinishers, etc.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:04:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <cFhoe.94973$IO.27525@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
rr@invalid.org says...
> Three Highest Overall Rated 3-mp Cameras:
> Canon PowerShot A510
> Canon PowerShot S1 IS
> HP Photosmart M307
>

No surprises here. After looking to see what stores carries in our area
and reading all the reviews I bought my wife the A510. It was the best
camera we could find under $200.

> Three Highest Overall Rated 4- and 5- mp Cameras:
> Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20S
> Kodak EasyShare DX6490
> Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom
>

Like wise I wasn't surprised. After reading reviews the FZ20 was my
first choice, but with only $500 to spend I ended up with the DX6490
with money left over for a spare battery, camera case, external flash,
and several SD cards. Like another poster said though, there were trade-
offs.

My DX6490 complaints are that there is no uncompressed format and no way
to set the JPG compression level. Also from a letter I recieved from
Kodak no plans to update the firmware to correct these issues. I'd be
happy to get either an uncompressed format or at least a way to set the
compression level. The amount of JPG artifacts really shows in some
shots.

On the plus side it has a long zoom, long battery life, a jack for
connecting an external flash, and manual shutter and aperture modes.

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 6:32:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Renee wrote:
> Quotes and excerpts from Consumer Reports July 05 Issue:
>
> Three Highest Overall Rated 3-mp Cameras:
> Canon PowerShot A510
> Canon PowerShot S1 IS
> HP Photosmart M307
>
> Three Highest Overall Rated 4- and 5- mp Cameras:
> Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20S
> Kodak EasyShare DX6490
> Olympus C-765 Ultra Zoom
>
> Three Highest Overall Rated 6- to 8- mp Cameras:
> Nikon Coolpix 8700
> Nikon Coolpix 8400
> Canon PowerShot G6
>
> Quick Picks - Listed in order of ratings starting with highest for
> each group
> Best values overall if you want to get creative:
> Canon Powershot S1 IS
> Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom
> Fujifilm FinePix S3100
> Best values for snapshots, compact and simple to use:
> Canon Powershot A510
> Fujifilm FinePix A330
> Kodak EasyShare CX7430
> Olympus D-580
> Best values for creative editing, provided a long zoom range isn't
> critical to you:
> Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom
> Kodak EasyShare CX7530
> Nikon Coolpix 5400
> Kodak EasyShare LS743
> Canon PowerShot A95
> Best point-and-shoots for serious photography:
> Nikon Coolpix 8700
> Canon Powershot G6
> Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom
> Fujifilm FinePix E550
> Olympus C-60
> Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P150
>
> Best Buys - Listed in order of ratings starting with highest for each
> group 3-mp
> Fujifilm FinePix A330
> 4- and 5- mp
> Kodak EasyShare CX7530
> Kodak EasyShare CX7430
> Canon PowerShot A95
> Olympus D-580 Zoom
> 6- to 8- mp
> Fujifilm FinePix E550
> Olympus C-60 Zoom
>
> It might be worth taking a look at this issue if you want to see
> details of how the various cameras ranked with regards to print
> quality, flash range, battery life, next-shot delay, etc. It also has
> other photo-related articles such as comparisons of photo printers
> and photofinishers, etc.

I would strongly urge anyone interested to go to the library and read
the entire story. Often the bare rankings will mislead the reader. As with
all things rankings can only be made for the estimated needs of the buyer,
your needs may differ so please read the whole thing. Many people are
disappointed with CR because they only look at the rankings. I have never
been disappointed with CR, but I read the whole thing. I often do not chose
their best or best buy because my needs are different.


--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
!