Sign in with
Your question

Ivy bridge and BIOS update

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2012 10:01:48 PM

Hi, I have a Intel desktop board with the p67 chipset and I want to get a i7 3770K however, I need a BIOS update and I have no chip in it right now and I already have a few builds in progress to I cant buy a $50 celreon. could I put in the i7 and boot to bios and update it or is the i7 not able to even able start up the bios? What can I do?

More about : ivy bridge bios update

a c 150 à CPUs
June 20, 2012 10:14:07 PM

you will need to check if your motherbd supports the IB at the current bios level.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 10:18:51 PM

whats the motherboard?

only boards i have ever seen that can flash the bios without a cpu are some of the asus boards

also there are people on ebay who will sell you a flashed bios chip or you send them your bios chip and

they will flash it with the bios of your choice

this option is pretty cheap

heres one who will flash your chip or sell you a new chip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheapest-in-UK-Bios-repair-fl...
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 2:23:20 AM

The board is a Intel DP67BA the only features it has is overclocking like the RAM and I would not know how to remove the bios chip or where it is is it solderd on? soooo do i need to get a dang celeron 'cause it would be fun since the chip is so bad is to over clock it till it dies but it would kill the board. so i dont see why i cant just put the i7 in the hit the bios and update it then install a OS?
m
l
July 9, 2012 5:16:04 AM

hmm i would still like to know if thats my only choice
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2012 3:13:17 PM

far as i am aware those are your only options
m
l
August 11, 2012 9:44:28 AM

oh i have a few questions if anyone has the same board (Intel DP67BA) its supposed to be the 3rd version if that helps, when i use Ivy bridge will I have USB 3.0, SATA 6gb/s and PCIe-3.0 when I flash my bios? and i cant seem to locate the BIOS chip which is odd because I usualy have an eye for it, I'll need a spare celleron. So as long as I have the full speed I can get from my board because i heard IB takes away, I think it was USB 3.0, or gives P67 PCI-e 3.0 support because I was thinking of getting a 7xxx Radeon card that has 3.0 speed. So if anyone can tell me the draw backs of IB on my board or benifets that would be greatly appretiated because I'm loosing my mind over this.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2012 2:16:24 PM

board already has USB 3.0, SATA 6gb/s with whichever cpu

the board doesnt have pci-e 3.0 so ivy bridge cpu wont give it

no graphics card out yet fully saturates pci-e 2.0 anyway so will be a while before we even see pci-e 3.0 actually be of

any use
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 2:51:13 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
bios chip isnt usually soldered

The "newest" PC I remember owning that had a socketed BIOS chip was had a Pentium MMX CPU. Most low/mid-range motherboards solder the chip to save parts and manufacturing costs since most people don't even know BIOS may need occasional updating and with dual-firmware or bootloader-loaded BIOS, it is nearly impossible to brick a motherboard though BIOS update accidentally which makes socketed chips largely pointless.

I looked at a handful of high-res $200 board pictures on NewEgg and could not find anything that looked like a socketed DIP/SOP/QFP/etc. chip on any of them. Either I got unlucky with my random selection or socketed NVRAMs are simply not all that common.
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
August 11, 2012 3:01:55 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
the board doesnt have pci-e 3.0 so ivy bridge cpu wont give it

Board "support" for PCIe 3.0 does not matter. If the PCIe lanes for the PCIe 3.0 slots are hard-wired directly to the CPU and signal integrity is good enough, the PCIe lanes can run at whatever speed the endpoint combination (CPU+GPU) supports with nothing more than a BIOS update to initialize it, which is likely included in the Ivy Bridge support updates.

PCIe 3.0 support is definitely impossible on boards that have PCIe 2.0 switches to provide extra SLI/Crossfire slots and/or more lanes per card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2012 3:06:16 PM

you could be right

thinking about it the last time i took a bios chip out was probably on my abit an8 fatality when i got a power cut during

flashing the bios--so would have been a socket 939 cpu then--so 5 or 6 years ago probably

vaguely remember having to hot swap the bios chip from my other an8 board while the pc was on to let me reflash from

within windows
m
l
August 11, 2012 10:24:51 PM

InvalidError said:
Board "support" for PCIe 3.0 does not matter. If the PCIe lanes for the PCIe 3.0 slots are hard-wired directly to the CPU and signal integrity is good enough, the PCIe lanes can run at whatever speed the endpoint combination (CPU+GPU) supports with nothing more than a BIOS update to initialize it, which is likely included in the Ivy Bridge support updates.

PCIe 3.0 support is definitely impossible on boards that have PCIe 2.0 switches to provide extra SLI/Crossfire slots and/or more lanes per card.

well the board only has one PCIe-slot does that make a difference?
m
l
!